You Tie Me Down

Their first journey landed them in Rumpelstiltskin's castle a few sunrises later. The energy of the dead man left behind lifted the hairs on Emma's body with unease and the silence was less than comforting. Its ceilings were high and vaulted, and the russet table in the hall stretched long and empty.

She saw a single red rose in the middle.

"He has his playthings stored in the next room," Regina rumbled beside her and she unconsciously followed, thinking of the chestnut-haired woman in the yellow dress.

"I remember seeing them briefly," she murmured and found herself in another large room, though it was filled with displays of varying items. Weapons, vases, boxes, and some things she could not decipher, but they were no doubt all magical artifacts. "What are we to do here?"

"Take what interests us. These items are ours, now," answered the Dark Queen as she glided across the smooth, marbled floors.

"Amazing," she murmured, a small, petulant part of her blooming with excitement.

"Amazing? I suppose so. These items will certainly be of some use in the future." Regina weaved between the displays, eyes shining. "Whether we deal to others or keep them for ourselves."

"Do you know what powers they hold?" Emma found herself standing before a singular arrow perched on a hold. The point itself was light pink and fashioned into a point from two rounded ends. The wood was light, birch, and the tail held short red and white feathers. She could not resist the urge to reach out and touch it.

"Do not touch that!" Regina's voice shook her and she quickly pulled her hand away.

"I was not going to!" Eyes wide, she carefully stepped around the offending arrow and looked to her Queen.

The older woman looked at her, eyes narrowing and lips pursing. "I saw that look in your eye, do not lie to me. Resist the urge to touch things without consulting with me beforehand. These items are dangerous."

Emma nodded, keeping her hands close as she observed the arrow more closely, wondering how such a thing could be constituted as dangerous. "What does it do?"

"They call that Cupid's Arrow. One prick sends you madly in love with whomever first crosses your sight." Her husky voice followed her as she neared the weapon.

"It would have no effect on me," Emma purred, eyes never leaving her brunette queen and her dark features. "You are the only one here, after all."

Regina's eyes shot up to meet her gaze, intensely devouring her. "It is a dangerous weapon." She glossed over the implication, or she merely chose not to accept it. "Men who have used this to gain the love of their romantic interests have had their subject catch sight of another. And, if that happened, death would claim them both."

"Death?"

"Cupid, they say, is benevolent when it comes to love. I believe it is merely a power that alludes to something special, but ultimately leaves you burned and broken." Her eyes glazed over before she completely broke her gaze, leaving Emma's heart to sink into her stomach. Quickly, the blonde searched for a distraction as the Queen continued to speak. "And as much is proven when the object of affection is taken with another. The wielder of the arrow and the receiver are said to die of sorrow, for they would never find a love like the one they yearn. I believe the arrow is a mere trick, letting you believe you could force love."

The Evil Queen laughed and Emma let it fill her completely. Though, there was something about her statement that felt as if it desecrated the joy that once leapt inside her heart. Was she trying to force Regina to love her?