Chapter 4 - With Silver Needles Comes Great Responsibility

Start from the beginning

Feng Yao mentally congratulated herself on upgrading from a beggar to a young miss to a hero. Suddenly, a loud shout rang out from above them on the third floor. 

"Hey! What are you all doing!?" Four men dressed in black swiftly jumped over the staircase and brandished their swords. 

Looks like they'd rather kill than capture. How interesting! Looks like this place isn't just a brothel, huh?

Feng Yao calmly turned to meet the terror-stricken faces of the girls. 

"Now would be the time to run."

Her words automatically made them begin to flee towards the back door. Feng Yao was naturally faster, but seeing that three of the girls had already broken into frightful tears made Feng Yao slow down her pace in order to push them in front of her. 

See? This is why it's better being a beggar than a young miss. The skinnier you are, the faster you'll run.

Just as they reached the doorway, the men angrily shouted again.

"You whores can't leave here unless it's by death!"

Hearing that, Feng Yao abruptly stopped. The other girls turned to look at her in confusion before quickly glancing at the threatening men who were quickly advancing.  Feng Yao saw the conflict in their eyes as they debated on whether to run or wait for her.

Well since they're all so nice for waiting, I think it's only right that I do them a favor. Plus...

She turned to coldly stare at the man who had just insulted her. 

A whore, huh? 

Her lips faintly turned upwards in an unnoticeable sneer.

Naughty little boys have to be taught a lesson, don't you think? 

"Go." Feng Yao lightly called out towards the girls. With a sudden piercing gaze, she stared dead straight at the fifth girl.

"You can handle it from here, correct?"

The fifth girl, who had been the most inconspicuous one out of them all, slightly paused. Seeing that Feng Yao was completely serious, her previously fearful features were replaced with an expressionless look. Feng Yao had to admit that it fit her much better than her earlier facade of a helpless little girl. 

"En. I can take over. And you?"

Feng Yao's eyes glinted with a strange light as she answered. "I am more than enough here."

The remaining four girls looked quickly between the two unable to figure out what was transpiring in their strange conversation. One of them stepped forward towards Feng Yao with tears in her eyes.

"You aren't coming with us?"

Feng Yao smiled at her concern before answering. 

"No, I'm not." She turned around and saw the men appear from down the hallway. Her smile instantly disappeared. They'd be upon them all any second now.

"Go!" Feng Yao forcibly pushed the girl outside before grabbing both metal handles of the double doors.

"Wait!"

But Feng Yao ignored the tearful young girl. With a serious look in her brightly shining eyes, she quietly stated, "Do not look for me. And do not remember me. After all, I'm simply a little peasant girl." 

And with that, she slammed the doors closed between her and the others. The intense sound reverberated and echoed throughout the entire room as if she was sealing her fate. But she wasn't afraid. Not at all.