CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR.

Start from the beginning

Daniel Maxwell was completely unaware of Michael's presence. Michael was facing away from Mr. Maxwell as he leaned against the bar, resting himself up with one elbow and looking in the opposite direction. His voice was getting louder as he continued to speak about all the things that he would do to Hannah - the positions, the places, the names that he would call her during the 'intimate' act. Michael felt sick to his stomach with jealously - even though there was nothing to be jealous about - as the words that Mr. Maxwell spoke continued to taint his brain, filling him with revolting thoughts.

"And here she is, the beautiful nurse who keeps coming to my rescue."

Michael shifted his eyes to Hannah who had just walked through the door. It was obvious that he had consumed too much alcohol, probably to soothe the pain of his injury but it still gave him no right to talk to Hannah in such away. Awkwardly, Hannah stood by the door as Mr. Maxwell continued to shout things to Hannah from across the room. The friends that he was sat with laughed along to Mr. Maxwell's comment, increasing the mortification that Hannah was feeling.

Hannah looked over at Michael and noticed the annoyance in his eyes. It would only be a matter of seconds before Michael finally broke and committed a crime so, Hannah rushed over to Michael and placed one hand on his shoulder, smiling kindly at Isaiah who had moved away so they young couple could talk in private.

"I'm trying to be good," Michael said, rubbing one hand across his face. "Trying not to kill him."

Hannah chuckled before wrapping his arms fully around Michael's neck, dragging him closer to her mouth. "Don't do anything thoughtless because he really isn't worth it. You are better than that and you know it."

Michael took a deep breath before nodding, somewhat allowing the feelings to die out for a bit while he focused on Hannah. The two of them hadn't spoken all day and he didn't know why she was there - not that he was complaining in the slightest. Hannah was chewing on her bottom lip from worries but stopped when Michael placed one hand on her thigh, stilling her actions.

"What's wrong?" Michael asked, a look of alarm on his face. His instant thought was that something had gone wrong with another baby or maybe even something at the convent but when Hannah told him the reason for her detached mood, Michael couldn't help but laugh.

"I have dinner with your mum tonight and honestly, I am petrified. What if she is going to have a go at me for saying yes to your proposal? What if she poisons the food? They are all realistic things that your mother might do because - " Hannah hesitated once Michael had begun to laugh. "This is not amusing, this is actually really serious."

"There's nothing to be apprehensive about. My mum likes you a lot," Michael responded through laughter. "All she wants to do is discuss some wedding things with you - "

"We aren't even getting married for like another year."

Michael nodded before reaching into his jacket to pull out his cigarettes. He lit the two of them one before smiling tenderly, grabbing Hannah's hand and rubbing over the skin. "She is just excited. I don't think she ever expected this day to come if I am being honest with you."

Hannah agreed with a quick hum, perhaps she was being ridiculous. Still, the thought of discussing wedding things with Polly was terrifying her to death. The two of them had been alone quite a few times but not since Polly had drunkenly confessed to killing Inspector Campbell, it only scared Hannah more. She knew that all the Shelby's/Gray's were treacherous, it was a known fact around Birmingham but hearing the stories and being around them were two entirely different things. They had only ever been nice to Hannah, so she could not judge them but occasionally, Hannah would think of what they did for a living and the fear would creep up on her.