"You may not enjoy what we have to do next, Claramay." He warns.

I stand slowly, my magic fluttering once more inside of me, "Whatever it takes to protect my family."

-----------

Niklaus and Kol are spending the day out on the town, according to Rebekah. She was still in her ballgown when I saw her, and I can't help but feel a little disgusted that her and Bonnie's blonde friend ended up together last night. At least that's what I'm assuming happened since she brought him as a date.

Just before coming to see me, Elijah had found more sage that Esther had burned downstairs. It's becoming so obvious that she's up to something, but the trust Klaus and the others have in her are unwavering at the thought of living together as a family. I understand wanting to be happy, but not if that happiness comes at a price.

"What's our plan?" I hum in excitement as I drive my Cadillac through the quiet suburbs of Mystic Falls.

"I'm not sure that I have one," Elijah admits. "Elena has been deceitful to me about the conversation she had with my mother. We need to know what happened between them before we move against her."

"And if she's planning something against Klaus like I think she is?"

Elijah stays quiet this time. It has to hurt him to think about killing his mother, but I trust that he will do the right thing to protect Klaus. He doesn't have a choice, always and forever guarantees that.

I haven't been to Elena's house since coming to this town. It feels just as foreign as it did then, but I'm also not as welcome as I used to be. With Elijah next to me, the sides are clear now, but I don't plan on letting any harm come to her either way.

I lead the way once we get there, but Elijah is the one to knock. For a second, I'm worried that Alaric might answer the door, but I let out a silent breath of relief when I see it's Elena who opens it.

"Elena." Elijah greets her, his smile is deceiving.

The tension surrounding Elena grows immensely when she sees the original vampire on her doorstep. I understand why Elijah is suspicious of her now, it's clear she's a little worried about being in his presence.

"Elijah. Clara." She says, surprised.

"We don't mean to intrude." Elijah looks inside for a moment, probably checking if anyone else is home, "I was hoping you might accompany me. I want to show you something."

She nods and hurries off to get a coat. Elijah and I make our way back to the car and wait for her to return. It's a little colder than I had expected and I'm thankful that I have a sweater and a jacket to keep me warm. Even Elijah plays the part of a human with his expensive wool coat.

The car ride is silent besides Elijah's need to tell me where to go. His demeanor is different now with Elena in the car, he radiates confidence, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the doppelgänger's obvious uncomfortableness. She stares out the window, silent and tense.

"Right over here..." Elijah points to a dead end clearing in the woods.

He must have thought of a plan by now. I don't recognize where we are at all, but it has to be of some significance to his family's past as he is looking around longingly. I hurry to follow the two by unbuckling my seatbelt and following them out of the car.

The echo of chirping birds high above me fill my ears as soon I open the door. The sun smiles down through the trees with a hope to comfort us from the chilling wind, but it's not very successful. With a thought, my magic moves against my skin, sparking necessary warmth to keep me from getting too cold.