chapter 37

Disclaimer: I own nothing and no one

Chapter 37: Making Progress

xxx

The air was thick with curses. Ginny ducked a stray Body-Bind and darted past Zacharias Smith, who was facing off against Terry Boot. Her own pursuer, Hannah Abbott, fired off a series of hexes that went wide, some of them hitting a few other unfortunate members of the DA. Parvatti, struck from behind, went rigid and fell backwards, making Ginny swerve around her as she ran on.

The Room of Requirement was a battlefield. No longer were they split into sparring partners, with Harry and Malfoy wandering the room calmly, giving advice or criticism. Instead, the entire room was involved in a mass duel. Split roughly into halves at the beginning of the session as if they were opposing sides in a real battle, the group had been instructed to improvise and then left to their own devices. Though Harry was still present, even participating with them, he'd fallen back from his role as teacher. So had his Slytherin counterpart, for that matter, both of them eagerly taking part in the miniature war they'd created.

She watched them when she could afford to, fascinated by the sudden change of chemistry between the two. Accustomed to watching the pair face off against each other, it was strange to suddenly see them work together.

She glanced over just as Hermione, who had been sorted onto the 'opposite' team, sent a jinx at Harry from behind. Smoothly, without breaking either of their rhythms, Malfoy pulled the other boy out of the way and sent a flurry of spells back at the witch that made her retreat almost instantly. In return, Harry cast a shield charm around the blonde that deflected the attack Ron threw at him, taking advantage of the distraction Hermione caused.

Ginny shook her head in amazement. Not so long ago, she would have said they couldn't have stayed in the same room together; now she could only marvel at how well they worked as a team. It was uncanny. And, more than anything, a reminder of why, exactly, these two were qualified to teach them. Merely watching them made her feel a rush of exhilaration, and she turned with a wild grin and found herself caught up in a duel with Susan Bones.

Draco cast a glance over the students surrounding him. He found himself checking on their progress, their actions, trying to gage which 'side' of their staged battle was coming out on top. Ginny Weasley was vicious, he noted, with something verging on approval. More skilled than her brother – but then, he may have been a little biased. He and Granger hovered nearby, picking off individuals around them. Granger constantly shot glances at himself and Harry, trying to figure out a way past their joint defences. Impossible, Draco thought arrogantly, but knew it to be true. He pressed his back to the Gryffindor's and sent a hex at Longbottom, purely to frighten him.

Scanning the chaos around him, it occurred to him that he was feeling oddly satisfied upon noticing a few of the spells he'd introduced to the students being used. As unnerving as it was, he felt a little thrum of pleasure at realising he'd actually taught something successfully.

He watched Michael Corner attempt to dart away from his opponent, only to find himself defenceless, and was promptly struck down by two other curses. Rolling his eyes, Draco called out short-temperedly, "Find a partner, for God's sake!" One could only triumph in a battle like this with an ally.

Anyone within earshot glanced at him fleetingly, and he was almost surprised to see them obey, pairing off automatically.

Harry chuckled near his ear, even as he fended off a quick series of assaults. "You're starting to enjoy this," he accused in a whisper, breath warm on the back of Draco's neck.

The Slytherin curled a lip, casting a disgusted glance over his shoulder at the Gryffindor. "I most certainly am not," he denied heatedly. "I can assure you it's as much of a chore as ever!"