Promise List (17)

"Shawn I'm freezing," Riley whined.

He rolled his green eyes. "You're such a baby," he said unzipping his blue North Face jacket and handing it to Riley. She gratefully took it and pulled it on over her grey I love New York sweatshirt.

            "Isn't the sunset awesome?" Shawn asked gesturing to the pink sky over the bay.

            "Awesome," Riley said unenthusiastically and rubbed her frozen fingers together. Shawn stepped down from the bow of Ruth and sat down beside Riley. "Why are you ruining this moment," he asked with a fake pout.

            Riley sighed, "I'm sorry, but it's freakin' freezing!"

            "Pfft," Shawn huffed. "Its fine," he said standing up and opening his arms wide. A chilly night breeze off the lake rustled his thick hair and caused Riley's teeth to chatter, but he didn't seem to notice.  "It's a perfect night for a sail," he said grabbing the wheel and steering farther out into the bay.

Riley sighed dramatically and stuffed her hands in her pants pockets.

            Shawn looked at her, his eyes were wild. "I think I'll go for a swim," he said impulsively.

            Riley shot off the bench, "No you will not."

            "Why?" Shawn questioned and started to lift up his shirt.

            "Uh because it's freezing!" Riley said matter-of-factly and glanced at the greenish-blue lake water.

            "You're not fun," Shawn sighed, furrowed his brows and grabbed Riley around her back.

            "You're crazy," she retorted and tried to wriggle free from his grasp.

            "You are coming swimming," he said and tilted Riley over the railing.

            "Stop! Let me go," she yelled and heaved him off her. "What's the matter with you?" she said shrilly.

            "What?" Shawn asked with narrowed eyes, "I was just having fun."

            "I stopped having fun two hours ago when we started this little ‘adventure'" Riley chided angrily. Dark clouds rolled through the sky and a raindrop hit Riley's cheek, she wiped it away bitterly.

            "If you didn't want to come then why did you say yes when I asked you?" Shawn asked raising his voice.

            "I wanted to come when you asked but if I'd known you'd be bouncing off the walls like a lunatic maybe I would've stayed home," she shouted.

Shawn's expression was cold as he abruptly turned the wheel towards the harbour. Heavy raindrops fell and thunder roared through the skies. In minutes Riley was drenched. Shawn walked angrily to the other side of the boat where Riley couldn't see him.

"What the hell was all that about?" Riley demanded once Ruth was docked. Shawn looked at his feet and walked off the dock. Riley hurried after him and grab at his sleeve. He pulled away angrily and continued ahead at a steady pace. "Shawn!" she yelled over the thunder. He turned around abruptly and stared at her face. "What?" he said through clenched teeth.

            "What's going on with you?" Riley snapped.

            Shawn opened his mouth to talk but nothing came out. He just glared at her, his face hard and tense. She stared back confidently although she was confused. "Tell me what's wrong," she demanded in a softened tone and took a step toward him.