Chapter 15

The next day, the interview is all the buzz.
"How did you not get nervous?" Asks Minda.
"Savannah's a good host and I know it sounds cheesy but Nat was with me the entire time." I reply.
"What'd you think, Ethan?" Asks Minda.
"Uh, you looked really good, Naomi." Ethan says.
"Aw, thank you!" I remark.
"Naomi!" Exclaims a familiar voice.
I turn around to see Kayleigh heading our way. She's not on crutches anymore and she walks fine. I guess she got them off yesterday? I don't know. I actually haven't talked to Kayleigh since the walkout.
"Oh my God your crutches!" I gasp.
"I know, isn't it great? That's probably the only good thing about getting grounded. I was going to check up on you over our 'suspension' but I didn't have my phone." She explains.
"No worries." I smile.
"I saw your interview yesterday in the hospital,' she tells me,' you did so good. If I were you, I would've like, died."
"It's funny, everyone keeps saying that. But in reality, it's not that hard." I smile.
The bell rings.
"Well, I'll just be heading to class so bye!" Exclaims Kayleigh.
When she leaves, I notice Ethan and Minda give her the stank eye.
"What?" I ask.
"Since when did you become such good friends with Kayleigh?" Ethan asks.
Minda gives Ethan a strange look. I can't describe it but it's like they have a...secret.
     "Since when did you have a problem with that?" Minda defends me.
     We walk to gym together and Ethan scurries off.
     "Alright, I have to tell you something." Minda sighs.
     "Is everything okay?" I ask.
     "Yeah, but it's about Ethan. Listen, to-Puri! Parker! Class is starting!" Exclaims our gym teacher.
     "What were you saying?" I ask.
     "It's just better if I tell you at lunch." Minda sighs.
     That's just great. My two best friends have a huge secret and won't even tell me. What a great start to today.
    After first period, it feels like all eyes are on me. But not in a good way. People whisper about me as I walk past them. I wonder what that's all about. But then again, why should I care? I mean, haters are going to hate, right? At lunch, I get my answer.
    "There's something I need to tell you!" Pants Kayleigh.
    "Kayleigh,' I start,' what's up?"
    "Please don't be mad but Scarlett and Lucy are spreading a rumor about you." She tells me.
     "A rumor? What kind of rumor?" I ask.
     "Your interview yesterday? Scar and Lucy are saying your parents paid big money to get you up there because you wanted attention because you're stuck up and you're daddy's little princess." She explains.
     "That couldn't be further from true. First of all, Savannah came to my house and asked me to do the interview. Second of all, the Parker's are far from rich. Besides, even if we had money, we would be using it for other things. And this all because I want attention? That's a little bizarre, don't you think?" I say.
      "I know and that's why I'm not buying into it." Says Kayleigh.
      Minda comes over.
     "So, what is it about Ethan?" I ask.
     "Something about Ethan?" Kayleigh peers over.
     "Hey, Kayleigh! And I don't think this is a good time." Concludes Minda.
     Ethan comes and sits in his usual spot which is right across from me. We all eat lunch in peace until something happens.
      "Hey, everybody!" Shouts a familiar voice.
      We all turn our backs and see Scarlett. She's standing on top of a table and shouting. And this bitch thinks I want attention?
      "I just want to let everyone know that Naomi Parker is a fake, attention whore, and a stuck up bitch!" Exclaims Scarlett.
I can't just let her do this. But that's exactly what she wants. I can see right into her little trap. She wants me to go up there and reprimand her just so I know she wants attention.
"I see you, Naomi! Don't you want to come up here and fight me? I know you just love attention!" She teases.
I'm about to get up when she says something that stops me.
"Or are you going to just walk away like a pussy and act like the victim for attention?" She teases.
This is absolutely humiliating. A cafeteria full of kids, debating my next move. But I can't let her get to me. I won't let her get to me.
    "Or do nothing and just bring more attention to yourself?" She teases.
     I really can't win, can I? The cafeteria is completely silent. I get up and leave. I'm in the hallway just walking around, trying to avoid more drama.
"Hey! What is wrong with you?" Asks Scarlett.
"Me? What's wrong with me? You got on a table and publicly humiliated me!" I fight back.
"You thought that was bad? Just wait, Naomi Parker because it's only going to get worse from here." She threatens.
"Will it now? I'm not scared of you." I cross my arms.
"But you will be." She assures me.
I turn around and walk away.
"Fine then, walk away just like your brother did." She teases me.
       Don't let her get to you. I tell myself.
Later that day, during history, I get called to Mr. Spear's office. In the office, it's just him sitting down.
"Why don't you have a seat, Naomi?" He sighs.
I sit down in one of the round, leather burgundy chairs across from him.
"I saw your little news interview yesterday,' he begins,' and let me just say, I am not happy."
"What? Why?" I ask.
"You made Washington Heights seem like we don't care. You made us seem like a school of heartless monsters. You made it seem like the students here are all misbehaved delinquents when really, you are." He explains.
"What do you mean, Mr. Spear?" I ask.
"Today at lunch, you insulted Scarlett Wright. As a matter of fact, sources tell me you insult her very often, Naomi." He says.
      Scarlett! That little bitch! How dare she?
     "Well, who told you that?" I ask.
     "I can't say, Miss Parker." Sighs Mr. Spear.
     "Can I explain myself, please? Scarlett has been saying rude things about me for so many years! This is the year I would put a stop to that! At lunch today, she got up on a table and basically belittled me in front of everybody! Why isn't she getting in trouble?" I ask.
     "So, you don't even know if she was really being mean to you?" He asks.
     "Huh?" I respond.
     "You said she was saying rude things about you which means she was talking behind your back which means you don't know if it's true." He explains.
     "Are you taking Scarlett's side?" I ask.
     "I'm a principal, Naomi. Taking sides would be childish and unfair." He says.
     "What are you going to do with me?" I ask.
     "After school tomorrow, you have an extended detention." He says.
      Today was such an awful day. First, my two best friends keep a huge secret from me. Oh, and can't forget that stupid rumor. Then, I get humiliated in front of an entire class. To top all that, I get in trouble with Mr. Spear. What else can happen? I look down and see a text from Minda. I only read the first few sentences and then I shut my phone off. I don't think I want to talk to anyone right now. Of course, what I don't want happens next.
      "Go away!" I beg.
      "It's just mom. Can I come in?" She asks.
      Regrettably, I get up and open the door.
      "I know today was crappy for you, Naomi but someone's downstairs to make it all better." She says.
     "Who is it?" I ask.
     "Ethan." She says.
     "Tell him I don't want to talk to him." I say.
     "Look, I know you're kind of upset with him but you're really going to want to see this." She says.
     I want to tell her no but this won't end. I walk downstairs with her and see rose petals covering our back deck. Ethan holds a poster of us from years.
     "What's all this?" I ask.
     "Naomi Parker, you've been one of my best friends for so many years. I think you're so cool and I'm grateful to have you as a part of my life. Even today and these past few weeks, you've really changed and shown how awesome you really are. So, I was just wondering, would you like to be my date to the prom?" He asks.
     The prom! I totally forgot about that! It's in another week!
     "So, is that a yes or a-" Ethan asks but I cut him off with a huge hug.
     "I'll take that as a yes." He concludes.
     I giggle.