Chapter 29: Easy

Easy

It was supposed to be a stupidly easy plan. Sneak into the palace, locate the basement, find Z, break him out, and then escape; never to be seen again. But I should have known something was going to go wrong. I should have been smart enough to know that there was no such thing as "easy" in a rescue mission. No matter what level of difficulty you think something is, there will always be complications.

Always.

I admit. I was a little scared at what would happen to me, but I also knew that I had to stay calm. I had to have faith that Tori would realize I was missing and come for me. I had to stay hopeful, and I needed to stay level headed. And most of all, I needed a new plan.

My gaze scanned the darkness once more, but even with my enhanced vision I saw nothing. Just what looked like black colored walls. There was nothing else. Not even a door. I banged my head against the wall. Or at least tried to. My attempt failed. My head connected with absolutely nothing. I couldn't use my hands. They were inconviently tied behind my back. I reached out with my toes instead.

Nothing.

That was good. I was finally learning something. I was no where near any walls. Instead, I was sitting somewhere near the center of the room. I tried to reach out with my other senses. I couldn't hear anything, which told me that this room was most likely sound proof. As for smells, I scented water nearby and something else I couldn't quite make out. I dragged my feet against the floor. Once. Twice. A third time. Whatever my feet rested on wasn't exactly concrete, but it wasn't carpet either. Wood?

I blew out a breath as I tried to think. Never in my wildest dreams had I ever thought I would be sitting alone chained to a chair. Not once did I ever think I would find myself imprisoned in a cold, dark, windowless room. And not once did the thought of never being able to see Tori again slip through my mind.

Never.

24 hours earlier...

The golden coated arrow that laid on the table was the first to catch my eye so naturally I had to pick it up. I had never seen arrows like these before. Sure I've seen people paint them this color but never had I seen actual arrows made of gold. Wow. I put it down in favor of finding something more interesting. My gaze landed on the rifles sitting before me.

"Hey! Don't touch those!" Derek yelled, quickly covering the distance between us. My head turned toward him.

"Dude!" I shifted the weight of both guns in my hands. "Is this an M14? How the hell did you get your hands on an M16A4?" These were all military edition; Navy SEALS specialties. It was almost impossible to find these. I felt like I was in gun paradise.

"Give me those." He said.

I handed them over before grabbing a black Colt 1911. I whistled. "Bro, what the hell man? You've been holding out on me. I hope you know I'm keeping this."

When he moved to take it away I quickly switched off the safety and cocked it back. "Don't do it." I've never seen his hands fly up so fast.

"Alright fine," He surrendered. "Jeez. You can never say I didn't give you a birthday present."

I shrugged.

He went back to cleaning the guns, and I shoved my new favorite toy into the back waistband of my pants. Next I took up the M870.

"Why do we need a shotgun?" I asked as I carefully inspected the black metal. "Don't you think you're packing a little too heavily."

"Nope," he replied; popping the 'p.' "I'm a slayer remember?"