Chapter 5: The Unlucky

The Unlucky

Dream

It was the same dream as always. I awoke with a start because something wasn't right. Rubbing my eyes I slid out of bed and walked over to the window. The purple curtain was cracked just enough on its own for me to see what was going on.

And like always there was nothing out there. At least nothing that could explain why I'd awaken so suddenly, yet I knew something was utterly wrong.

I had a bad feeling about tonight. Stepping away from the window I quickly dressed in my black combat clothing and grabbed the arrow quiver and compound bow before walking out of the room.

By the time I arrived at the first floor of the pack house my parents were already waiting, and stared out the window, whispering quietly. "The time has come," They said. "It's already begun." I was eleven then, but despite my age I knew we were going to fight soon.

They said nothing to me as I crossed my arms and leaned on the wall. I cleared my throat. "So, you sensed it too?" The two turned around. "Then something really is up." I whispered the last part.

"Tomari..." I met my mother's bronze colored eyes. I didn't know this would be the last time I'd look in those intelligent eyes of hers. I knew she wanted to tell me to go back to sleep and that it was nothing. But that would be a lie.

I shook my head. "I will stay and fight. This is my pack, too."

My father started to say something, probably wanting to disagree with me like he always did, but stopped at the sound of growling. A large banging later sounded. We ran towards the door yet we didn't bother to open it. The wolf who continuously banged against it with his shoulder would do it for us.

I took a few steps back and drew my arrow. I could hear mother shouting for me to run, but being the stubborn child I was I shook my head and held my aim. The door soon fell to the ground. And there, standing in the doorway, was a full three hundred pound wolf.

I didn't waste any time releasing the arrow, hitting the wolf in between it's eyes. The wolf fell almost instantly. There was no way the wolf would survive the shot as my arrows were doused in mercury and silver and would go straight to his brain.

We soon bolted outside. There was fire everywhere in the pack village, and the sound of snapping and screaming filled the air. I watched as my fellow pack members fell around me, their cries cutting through the night as I ducked and dodged attacks. I couldn't help but think.

How had this happen? The Laplace Pack of New Orleans was one of the strongest packs in the world so how were we being taken down so easily? And by Rogues? Dipping low and dodging a punch I pulled my dagger from my waist and swiped at her neck. It was when I turned my head that something devastating caught my eye.

My mother who'd been fighting so hard suddenly dropped to the ground. "Mommy?" I called as I ran towards her direction, jumping over bits of fire and bodies. "Mommy!" I instantly dropped down next to her, tears streaming down my face. I looked her over and noticed the dagger in her heart. I reached to pull it out but a hand grabbed mine.

"Tomari... Don't..." She told me.

"But I can heal it," I said desperately.

Luna Ada shook her head. "No... The dagger is made out of wolfsbane, and has gone straight to my heart." The only reason she was still alive was because of her Alpha blood. If it wasn't for that she'd have died the instant she was hit. I sniffed and she wiped the tears from my face. "Listen to me carefully... Daktari... Run..." She shook her head when I started to protest. "Run... to Blue... Luna Valley... You'll... be safe there..."