Ch 22: Hurts Like Hell

Depuis le début

When he pulled away, he could see I was tearing up. "Are you here with good news or bad news?"

"Good," I managed to force out. I cleared my throat and tried again. "Good news. The Relay will be ready tomorrow."

"The Relay? Hancock was telling me this crazy stunt you're trying to pull. You're gonna teleport into the Institute and you didn't even invite me? For shame."

I blinked the tears away and sniffled. "You can come, MacCready."

"Gladly." He smirked.

"So this means you're leaving again," Fahrenheit said with arms crossed as she approached.

"'Fraid so. Duty calls."

"'Duty calls?' Coming from the mayor who leaves whenever he wants."

"Fahr, don't do this." He turned toward her, fully prepared to argue.

Buts he held up her hand. "Forget it. I know you have to do this. I'll hold down the fort."

"I owe ya," he said with a relieved smile.

____________________

The three of us traveled back to Sanctuary together, regardless of the lack of daylight.

During the trip back, MacCready told me that he managed to find the cure he was looking for and sent it to his son in the Capital Wasteland via caravan. Last he heard, Duncan was making a slow recovery.

Hancock told me that not much had changed with Goodneighbor but that after traveling with me, things felt boring afterward.

When we arrived in Sanctuary, it was well past midnight, and we were tired. Sturges was sleeping, and I couldn't bring myself to wake him, so I saw to the sleeping arrangements for the three of us. I dragged one of the spare sleeping bags from the workshop into my house and put it in the spare bedroom for MacCready while Hancock took the couch he was so familiar with. Codsworth checked with us to make sure we had everything we needed.

As I lay there trying to rest, however, my eyes wouldn't stay shut. I tossed and turned as my pulse banged away behind my ears. My heart was beating with loud thuds against my chest. All I could think about was finding my boy in that godforsaken Institute tomorrow.

I got up with a defeated sigh, goosebumps immediately beginning to raise as I left the warmth of my blanket; I couldn't stand to sleep in anything other than a tank top and shorts. I slid my pants back on and shrugged on my jacket. I slid my feet into my old house slippers and shuffled my way through the hall.

Hancock was nowhere to be seen in the house. I grabbed a bottle of purified water, drank half, and set it back on the counter. Curious as to where he'd run off to, I searched around for him. There weren't many people outside; most of the settlers were asleep in their homes. They got up with the rising sun and went to bed with the setting sun, as was the life of hardworking farmers.

I spotted the red of Hancock's frock in the moonlight on Mama Murphy's front porch. She was still sitting outside in a rickety rocking chair, a throw blanket on her lap. No doubt she was stargazing when Hancock found her. I crossed my arms and grinned as I watched the two of them chat, wondering if she told him a vision tonight and how much he believed in those things.

I went back inside and wandered around the living room for a moment or two in deep thought. This house was falling apart, and I knew it. I should have spent more time fixing it up before Shaun's arrival. I was just too busy. Or was that just something that I told myself so I wouldn't feel so guilty?

I went back to my room and grabbed my wool blanket from the mattress and wrapped it around my shoulders; the chill of winter was still apparent in the air. I walked back outside and examined the exterior of my house. Shambles. Holes everywhere. The siding was rusted and peeling. With a heavy sigh, I swore to myself that I would fix up the house if I found Shaun tomorrow.