Three: Saving the Pack

Start from the beginning

They had to be joking. But by the look in their eyes they were very serious. From the corner of my eyes I could see Christian around the corner waiting to pounce. He caught my eye and I shook my head. If Father couldn't beat one, he wouldn't be able to either, and then there would be no discussions, they'd kill him. I couldn't let that happen.

Well, Mate? The white one asked.

It was either let them kill my family, my pack, and destroy our land, or take the chance that, as their mate, I may be able to talk them down from attacking Lupis again. At the same time, I might die from their powers suffocating me to death.

I could die trying to save the pack, or I could die, and everyone follows suit. It wasn't a hard choice.

Call them off right now, and I will come with you. I said. My body was shaking, and I couldn't stop it. The outcome was unpredictable, the battle had started merely minutes ago, but it was close to over. No one else had to die. They looked at each other once more before lifting their heads up into the air and howling. The fighting ceased to continue and moments later the remaining wolves from the Ash Pack were running back into the forest. I lifted my head, howling to my pack, letting them know the fight was over.

Let's go. The white one huffed out. I glared at them as my father slowly came to consciousness underneath me and I stepped over him, letting him stand.

You can wait ten minutes, so I can say good-bye and pack a bag. I knew I was testing their patience, but I refused to leave without explanation. The black wolf bared it's teeth and I responded with the same threat. Try me.

Five minutes. That is all. We will wait by the trees, if it takes any longer we will start with the runts. The white one snarled. I huffed at them, even though I knew I was walking on thin ice.

Fine.

-------

"You can't go with them!" Christian yelled as I hurriedly packed my duffel bag. A coupe shirts and pants. Under garments and basic necessities.

"My Ava," Father started, "please, I would rather die fighting them, than see them take you away and know you're going to die before me." His wounds weren't as bad as they had seemed in his wolf form, andneither were mine. My wounds were slightly deeper, but I was able to move justfine, aching with pain. 

"Father, I have to go, it isn't about me, it's about our pack, you understand that more than anyone." I looked up then. Mother was crying silently under Father's arm, Janice stood there, holding Christian's hands tightly, holding him back.

"Which one is your Mate?" she asked, causing pause. I realized then, that they hadn't fully understood what had happened less than fifteen minutes ago. I sighed as I zipped the bag and pulled on another pair of boots, the other one had been torn during my shifting.

"Ava?" Mother asked, pressing the question. I felt the burning of tears trying to make their escape as I looked up. I hadn't cried since I was a pup, not from pain, or sadness, nor happiness. When they saw my struggle to hold them back, they gasped. Breathing in, I met each of their eyes for a moment.

"Ava, which one is it?" Christian asked, petrified. I took another breath, then spoke.

"Both." I said.

"Dear God, no." Father breathed.

One minute! The black wolf's voice filled my head.

"I have to go." I said, hugging each one quickly, before turning and heading out my home. I saw them, still in their wolf forms, watching me, waiting. The sun was starting to rise, the land quiet as the guards waited for the Alpha's orders to bring back the people in the Den. Our warriors stood in a line behind me watching for another attack.

I made my over to them.

Halfway there I heard their cries. I turned around to find Jack and Jake running towards me. The little boys were crying out my name. I dropped my bag then and ran to them. We met halfway. I slid to the ground as the leapt up at me. I wrapped my arms tightly around them.

"Please don't go Aunty Ava, please! We love you!" it was then that I couldn't fight the tears any longer. They silently poured out as I squeezed them tightly to me. Christian, Janice, Father, and Mother stood by the front door, either crying or fighting back their tears.

"Hey, hey, I love you guys too, but Aunty Ava has to go. If I do, you will all be very safe, and you can live happy again." Jack calmed down slightly, still holding me in a death grip.

"Promise you'll visit." He asked.

"Of course, I will, what kind of Aunty would I be if I didn't?" I said, wiping their tears away.

"You gotta pwomise!" Jake cried out, his three-year-old vocabulary lisped. I chuckled.

"I promise." I said even though I doubted I could keep that promise. "Now get back to your mother, right away." They hugged me once more, then kissed my cheeks before turning and running back to their mother. I stood then and turned.

I grabbed my duffel bag and walked to them.

That was more than five minutes. The black one growled at me. I glared at him.

"I'm leaving my home, my family, and my pack. Screw off."

-----------

Another one down!

What do you think? 

J. Vas