Chapter 4: Settling In

Start from the beginning

Rae stared at him for sometime. His white beater T-shirt fitted well against his muscular frame and his brown khakis. He was compared short to the other men but he was still some inches taller than her. His caramel skin was enhanced by the bright sun. Fresh white Addidas were on his feet as he walked over to Easy Dee and pushed him to the side.

"You niggas always act like vultures when someone move in," he snapped, snatching the toliet brush and placing it back in Rae's bag.

His face triangular, chin strong. His eyes were oval and were bronze, surrounded by full eyelashes. His lips full.and kissable, but Rae knew the deal. She couldn't trust him, he was just like the others.

"We was just welcoming her ta neighborhood, " Easy Dee replied. "No harm done, right ma?"

"Sure," Levi commented, pulling Rae from them. "Scaring her shitless is welcoming. Come with me."

"Damn Levi," He said. "Always taking da fun out of shit. Yo ass just want her fa yo'self."

Levi ignored him and told Rae to stay where she was. He jogged back to her truck, getting the rest of her bags. He knew, living in this hood for many years, that they would be gone by the time she came back out and nobody would be around for her to accuse.

Running back to her, he passed by the group of men as Easy Dee smacked his lips. Levi shook his head and helped Rae inside the building and away from them.

Rae didn't trust him. She trusted none of them, but to get away from the men who wanted nothing but to jump her bones and maybe slice her up, she would follow him. As long as she was inside the building, in her apartment, she was considered safe

"Please take your filthy hands off of me," Rae murmured, once they were in the building. She backed into the rusty railing that was about to give out any day.

Levi let her go, his arms in the air, surrendering. "Hey I just saved you from getting raped and gangbanged and you have an attitude?" He asked.

A shiver ran up her spine. "A-are you s-serious, " she asked.

Rae looked behind her at Easy Dee as he licked his lips and winked at her. He was watching her every move and it was starting to creep her out even further. Her bodt shook in disgust.

"I'm joking, lighten up," he told her. "It's not that bad living in the ghetto." 

Rae gave him a disgusted look. "Okay it's horrible here," he confided, stuffing his hands I'm his khakis. "Anyway I'm Levi, you?"

"Minding my own business," Rae snapped, turning around to go up the stairs.

Her arms were about to give out if she didn't put the bags down soon. She shuffled the bags in her hand to put the key in the doornob when she got to it on the second floor. Did she have to do everything by herself?

"Do you need some help," he asked, smirking as she almost dropped her bags.

"Are you following me?!" Rae questioned him.

"Look I'm just making sure you get in your apartment safely," he mentioned. "I think that's me being a gentleman."

"What's in it for you?" She sassed him.

"Trust me sweetheart," Levi begun, holding some of her bags and leaning against the wall. He looked inside her bags "You ain't got nothing I want."

Before she could turn the key in the door, all her bags dropped to the floor. Some, if not all, landed on her foot, causing her to scream in pain. He bend over to help her retrieve more of her things.

"Dont touch my things!" She shouted. "I don't know you from a hole in a wall. Your probably just another thief."

"Excuse me?"