Chapter 4: The Lady Sophie/Will Scarlet

Start from the beginning

A/N: (congrats to you if you took the time to figure that out)

What?! I opened my eyes. Dex looked ready to stab Prince Brant in the heart. Not that I would mind, but I don't think Fintan would be too happy about that.

Um, yeah, but that's not all.

Oh? What else can I add to the list of reasons why I hate Prince Brant?

Well, you see...Robin has agreed to compete, disguised as Lord Tiergan or Lord Forkle. So that means...

If Robin wins, you'll be forced to marry one of them. Dex's mental voice said flatly.

And thus my dilemma. If only Fitz were still a noble, then he wouldn't have to be disguised as Robin Hood, and...wait, did I just admit that out loud in my head?

Fitz Vacker is Robin Hood?

Um, yes, please don't tell anyone Dex! This is really important! Can you please keep it a secret?

Hurt flashed through Dex's eyes, and I felt guilty. Don't you trust me?

Of course, I trust you! It's just that Fitz trusted me with his secret, even when he doesn't know mine. I don't want to burden you with a secret. Especially when it's a secret the Sheriff wants so badly.

I'm sorry, Sophie. I know you trust me. So, you'd marry him?

Who?

Fitz!

Oh, um... My face felt like it was on fire. I don't know. Now let me sleep, Dex. I need all the help I can get for tomorrow.

What's tomorrow? Oh, right. I'm so sorry Sophie.

A tear slipped down my cheek and hit the soft wool blanket. It's all right, Dex.

No, it's not. What Fintan does to you...it's NOT ok.

Just...be here for me tomorrow, ok?

I'll be here, Sophie. And with that, I fell asleep.

*TIME SKIP TO NEXT MORNING*

I woke up to the annoying sound of birds singing. I groaned and sat up. This is the reason why the story of Cinderella never made sense to me. Sitting around, waiting for things to get better? No way was I doing that. And c'mon, birds singing has to be one of the most annoying sounds in the world. Second only to Keefe's whining.

The birds left, and I got dressed. But my peace only lasted for a few minutes. My maid, Vertina, entered my chambers.

"Lord Fintan is here," she said with fear in her voice.

"He may enter," I said, my voice trembling.

Vertina hesitated. "I'm so, so, sorry m'lady. I'll be here with Dex when you're done. Good luck."

"Thank you, Vertina," I said sadly.

As soon as Vertina exited the room, Fintan stepped in. His gaze swept over me, and I shuddered. Don'tscreamdon'tscreamdon'tscream.

"What? Are you not happy to see me, Sophie?" Fintan's oily smile dripped with malevolence.

"I never was," I said, trying to keep my voice firm.

"Let's begin, shall we?" he stepped closer and grabbed my arms.

And the torture began.

Fintan burned me in every place possible, and then some. He sank his teeth into my arm, and stars danced across my vision. I felt my power drain out of my skin and into his body. I could feel my heartbeat weaken, my essence being drained out of me like I was nothing. I could barely remember my name, my friends. Blood spilled onto the floor and all over my dress. The pain was so bad, I just wanted to die. I went limp, and it felt like hours before he let go of me.