Chapter 4: The Lady Sophie/Will Scarlet

A/N: Yeah, I know, no one ever reads author's notes, but...a BIG shout out to Sophitz15 for being the first to vote! Thank you so much! It means a lot. And, thank YOU, brilliant reader, for reading this. Yes, you, who are sitting at the computer/phone/tablet/whatever while fangirling/boying in secret. I've been there. It's ok to let out your inner fangirl/boy.

Previously:

"Don't worry, Fitz," I said. "We'll make sure you can marry Lady Sophie someday!"

"That's the spirit, Tammy!" Keefe wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

"Yeah, whatever, Keefe," I rolled my eyes as he flicked my bangs.

"Ha! Your emotions say otherwise!" Keefe smirked.

"Ya'know, I'm really starting to regret having an Empath in our group," Fitz said, still blushing hard. "I'm going to get some sleep. Good night, guys."

"Night, Fitz," I said.

"They're so oblivious, it's killing me," I told Keefe when Fitz was gone, and Linh had climbed up into a tree for the night.

"I KNOW," Keefe sighed. "The last time we went to her tower, I almost barfed from all the sappy emotions. Seriously, how can Eternalia's most famous thief be so oblivious?"

A/N: (yeah I know. ANOTHER one? Sorry not sorry) Telepathic conversations will be in italics. This actually goes for the whole story.

I leaned back against the wall next to my vanity. A few bottles of perfume and powder clanked to the floor. Oh, well. It's not like I really used them anyway. As I updated Dex on everything, I stared at my ceiling, thinking about my newly arranged marriage. I had painted the ceiling out of boredom, a year before I took up the identity of Will Scarlet.

I wasn't a very good painter, but with Dex's help, I painted the thick branches of a cherry tree. Dex inserted tiny lights that looked like cherry blossoms. Every time Fitz and his friends come over, it feels petty and girly. So against my newfound personality.

Ever since my parents died when I was a week old, I'd grown up in the King Grady's court. Then, when he left for the Crusades, Prince Brant uprooted me and placed me here. Apparently, I'm a "gift" to Sheriff Fintan for his "hard and outstanding" work. We were courting, but I couldn't be more repulsed. And if he won the contest...it was over. I might as well be wrapped in a shiny bow and handed over.

As I finished the story, the thought overwhelmed me, and I heaved...only, nothing came out. I leaned over the wastebasket, and Dex pulled my hair out of my face.

"Are you all right, m'lady?" he asked gently.

A hiccuped sob escaped my lips. "Yes. No. I...can't."

"Did anything else happen?" Dex carries me over to my bed and sets me down.

"No, it's just," I paused. "You've heard about the prize for winning the contest, right?"

"Well, yeah, it's the position of Sheriff," Dex said, confused.

"No. Well, yes, it is, but..." I trailed off, unable to say it. Saying it seemed to cement my fate.

"Would you rather transmit?" Dex asked, sitting in the chair next to me.

I nod gratefully and transmit. Ok, I'm in.

All right, tell me what Prince Brant did this time.

I close my eyes. The winner of the contest...alsogetsmyhandinmarriage.