Skiving Snackboxes: Year 5

Start from the beginning

"Shut up," She fought down her own grin, elbowing him.

"Well, I think it's a pity we're not trying for a bit of inter-House unity," Hermione huffed, arms crossed as they reached the end of the staircase. A group of fourth year Ravenclaws spotted them, and hurriedly grouped together.

Harry scowled, his voice sarcastic as he drawled, "Yeah, we really ought to be trying to make friends with people like that."

They walked into the Great Hall, the enchanted ceiling dark and miserable with heavy rain clouds.

"Dumbledore didn't mention how long that Grubbly-Plank woman's staying," Harry pointed out as they took their seats.

"Maybe..." Hermione's voice trailed off, expression thoughtful.

"What?"

"Well... maybe he didn't want to draw attention to Hagrid not being here," She shrugged.

Ron started laughing, "What d'you mean, draw attention to it? How could we not notice?"

Before Hermione could even open her mouth, Angelina marched toward them.

"Hi, Angelina," Harry waved.

"Hi, good summer?" Her voice was brisk and she didn't pause for an answer before continuing. "Listen, I've been made Gryffindor Quidditch Captain."

"Nice on," Harry grinned.

Angelina smiled, "Yeah, well, we need a new Keeper now Oliver's left. Tryouts are on Friday at five o'clock and I want the whole team there, all right? THen we can see how the new person'll fit in."

"I'd forgotten Wood had left. I suppose that will make quite a difference to the team?" Hermione asked, buttering some toast.

"I s'pose. He was a good Keeper..." Harry shrugged.

"Still, it won't hurt to have some newblood, will it?" Ron piped up, and when Amisty glanced at him he seemed to be hopeful.

The owl post came with a clatter and, the owls fluttering in through the upper windows, spraying them with rain. Echo lighted down on Amisty's shoulder, dropping a tiny rolled up note from her beak and nibbling on a piece of toast before flying off to the Slytherin table. Apparently, Argent, Draco's owl, had arrived at the castle. Hermione shifted her glass of orange juice to make way for a barn owl, the Daily Prophet in his beak.

"What are you still getting that for?" Harry snapped. "I'm not bothering... load of rubbish."

"It's best to know what the enemy are saying," Hermione replied, darkness tainting her voice. She disappeared behind the paper, flipping through the pages, until, "Nothing. Nothing about you or Dumbledore or anything."

Professor McGonagall was handing out their schedules.

Ron scanned it quickly, his expression getting more and more miserable as his gaze traveled down, "Look at today! History of Magic, double Potions, and double Defense Against Dark Arts... Binns, Snape, Trelawney, and that Umbridge woman all in one day! I wish Fred and George'd hurry up and get those Skiving Snackboxes sorted..."

"Do mine ears deceive me? Hogwarts prefects surely don't wish to skive off lessons?" Fred's familiar voice gasped dramatically, dropping down next to them.

"Look what we've got today. That's the worst Monday I've ever seen," Ron grumbled, pressing the schedule into his hands.

"Fair point, little bro," Fred nodded, looking at it, too. "You can have a bit of Nosebleed Nougat cheap if you like."

Ron stared at him suspiciously, "Why's it cheap."

"Because you'll keep bleeding till you shrivel up, we haven't got an antidote yet," George replied, leaning over to grab a kipper.