Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen:

"Mr Stark!"

Hazel could hear Peter's voice echo against the cold walls, she clung to his side as he helped her up the stairs.

Hazel was in pain, her friend could clearly see which turned him into panic mode. It wasn't nearly as bad as the first time, when Hazel set accidentally set herself on fire.

Nothing was making sense, she was trying to piece Homecoming night together when she lost her patience and threw her laptop across the room, face heated- everything was strangely warm. Looking down at herself her arms glowed red, she held back a scream as her arms danced with fire, flicking down her arms to her hands where it sat. Then the pain shot through her, taking over her brain and body.

"Hazel."

Blinking rapidly she looked up to see Mr Stark a few steps away, a hand on her shoulder.

"Yeah." She mumbled pulling herself up, standing straighter. "I'm here."

"Good." His voice rang out, banging around inside her brain. "Follow me."

Peter still held onto her arm as they walked through big double doors and into another room. This room was painted differently, a warm grey. It was warmer too, a fire burned in a fireplace against the far wall.

"What's wrong?" The man asked standing up while Hazel flopped onto a chair, "What's happened?"

"She showed up at my apartment, she was panicking then opened her freaking hand and on her palm was a flame." Peter went on, "She said she accidentally set herself on fire."

"How the hell-"

"It's possible." A voice rang out, Peter jumped and turned to see Vision, someone he'd only seen a few times but never spoke too.

"How." Tony said staring at him, "Indulge me."

"It's not important as within a few days it will consume her and the power will be up for the taking."

"What!" Peter said staring over at Hazel who laid on the couch, eyes closed as soft snores escaped her lips. "Are you saying she'll die?"

Vision frowned, "Possibly. Yes."

Peter's mind was all over the place, Mr Stark and Vision seemed completely calm about the fact that his friend was dying.

"She has a rare ability." Vision started staring at her sleeping figure, "Miss Hazel can take on any power she wishes to desire, taking to much will consume her. She doesn't know how to harness it yet."

"So you're saying she's going to be ok?"

"If she learns how to control her abilities, yes." The man nodded, "If not, she'll be gone in two days time."

Mr Stark coughed, taking off his glasses he squinted at Peter.

"This is why they want her." Mr Stark said, "We need to run some tests, bring her with you and follow me."

Peter nodded his head, as soon as he reached her side he nudged her gently. Her eyes peeled open and she sat straight up startled, looking around frightened she found Peter. Hazel stood up and wiped the sleep from her eyes, she slowly followed him to another room.

The room was massive, Peter's mouth almost fell open but quickly shut when he spotted the machine sat dead in the centre surrounded by desks and computers.

"Hazel." Mr Stark tossed his glasses aside, "Lay on the table."

"What- why?" She grumbled.

"We need to see where you got your abilities."

Hazel walked over at sat on the table, laying down she huffed.

"Why'd you say it like that?"

Vision appeared next to Mr Stark, he seemed to of came through the floor.

"Is that-"

Stark cut him off, "Where you get your check ups, yes."

Peter rushed next to the machine, watching below as frosted glass doors emerged from the sides and covered Hazel's body.

"Now." Mr Stark mumbled tapping away at buttons, "This should tell us where the ability came from."

After a few minutes Peter began pacing, the thing was taking forever to load. He said that it was slowly unraveling what was being hidden, that whatever it was was attempted to be kept away for much longer if not forever.

"My word." Vision muttered walked up next to Mr Stark, "She's 15, yes?"

Peter nodded, "So what?"

"It's residue from an experiment." Mr Stark took over, "This makes no sense."

"What do you mean experiment?"

"Hazel Rose Barnes - Born on the 15th of April." Vision closed his eyes, "Siblings - Sira Barn - Father Robbie Barn - Adopted at the age of three - document cannot be accessed."

"Adopted?" Peter questioned as the glass closed away and Hazel was lifted up until she slide next to Peter.

"What are you talking about?" She asked, "You're saying I'm adopted?"

"Why ask when you already know?" Mr Stark frowned, "And it appears to be."

Hazel squinted staring at the grown man before shaking her head, looking up at Peter she gave him a quick look before looking back at Mr Stark.

"Why do I have the same last name as my dad and sister then, huh smart guy?"

"Barn." Vision cut in, "Is the last name of your family, in the document you are regarded as Hazel Barnes, not Barn."

Hazel crossed her arms, "so what? Could just be a typo." She went silent for a few minutes, "I'm not adopted."

"Hazel-" Peter began, the information forming together in his head.

She shook her head before rushing out of the room, Peter watched her go but couldn't bring herself to follow. She'd have to figure her family history out by herself.

"Well." Mr Stark clapped his hands, "I'll call Steve."