"He may seem hard from outside, but he is a good person," Dr. Desai smiled.

Nicky had no idea why Dr. Desai wanted her to make friends with Dan all of a sudden. Her fear that it might be a test seemed a more likely explanation.

"Is it a protocol to make friends with the alien you are working for?" Nicky asked, trying to understand her motives. Nicky had no intention of going anywhere near Dan if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

"Are you guys gossiping about me?" Dan's voice pierced through the other room.

"You wish, Dan," Dr. Desai gave a nervous laugh, capping off the blood vile.

Dan walked into the exam room, leaning against the doorway. Nicky could feel his eyes boring down on her once again. "I should leave. I just remembered I needed to collect some files from Dr. Ferreira." Nicky stood up, pulling her sleeve down, trying to walk past Dan but he blocked her way. She raised her head, meeting his sharp gaze.

"Move," she said, putting as much sternness in her voice as she could muster.

His eyes zoned on her lips for a second before a wide smile spread on his lips.

"No," he said, straightening up, blocking more of her space.

Nicky had met enough bullies in her life and she was done with being pushed over. She was about to answer him back when he spoke up.

"I was thinking about going out. Would you like to come with me?" Dan asked with a sly smile.

Nicky gulped down her suddenly dry throat. She had to take a second to process what he said. He wanted to go out with her! Dan, the Dan that everyone died to get a glimpse of, wanted to go out with her?

"I don't think that is safe. You will be smothered with people." Nicky said, trying to hide the shock in her voice.

"People wouldn't care."

"They would. They are crazy about you."

Dan raised an eyebrow, hiding a smirk. "Is that true, Shruti?" He asked, without turning to Dr. Desai.

"Don't be smug, Dan, of course, it is. I don't understand the fuss though. You are not even human."

Dan chuckled, making butterflies flutter in Nicky's stomach and other parts she couldn't name. His hard face transformed into something angelic when he smiled. She wished he would smile more often instead of supporting his signature non-stoic expression.

"I could go out in disguise," he added with an expectant look at Nicky. His deep-set of brow bones cast an alluring shadow to his face, making the mysterious man look even more intriguing.

"I don't think that is possible," Nicky stated. There was no disguise that could hide his towering height and lethal body.

"Are you trying to dodge the offer, Miss Gupta?" His eyes glowed brighter than before, the smile disappeared, leaving behind an intensity that was too much to handle.

"I am maintaining boundaries."

"Don't resist me, it only makes me want.."

"Dan, I'll make the arrangements." Dr. Desai interrupted whatever Dan was about to say. "Nicky, Dan's driver will take you guys around the city."

"Do I really have to?" Nicky asked Dr. Desai.

"You haven't seen Recluse 1, have you?"

Recluse 1 was one of the first green colonies made after most of the trees died from human exploitation. It also had the highest oxygen levels on earth. Most people were barred from entering Recluse 1 without prior permission. Nicky had always wanted to walk around the city and experience the fresh air, the trees and beautiful buildings but accompanying a brooding alien wasn't how she imagined it.

Nicky nodded even though a part of her felt cautious. "I'll get ready." She said, running away from the office as fast as she could.

She had no idea why Dan wanted to be the nice guy all of a sudden. As far as she knew, it wasn't like him at all. If he was feeling sorry for his actions, a simple apology could have done a far better job than inviting her on an outing, endangering her internship.

Nicky didn't have a lot of choice in the clothes department. She didn't expect to go with one of the most famous people on earth while in her internship. She settled for a simple black top and jeans with a bare minimal makeup. When she walked out Dan was already waiting for her in the sitting area. He stood up as soon as he saw her. Nicky's steps faltered when their eyes met. He looked..well...like an angel who stepped down from heaven. He wore a sea-green shirt with sleeves folded at the elbow. As casual as his clothing style was, there was nothing casual about him. From the perfect mess of his hair to the black shoes, he screamed of sophistication you couldn't touch. The baseball hat hid his eyes but there was no denying who he was...an alien from another planet...too perfect to belong to this world.

"You look good," Dan said. A few stray eyes darted to them. Nicky's face inflamed at the compliment. It was sure to make a good story for the employees lurking around. She felt like a lamp he was feeding with compliments before butchering her into a jobless future.

"So do you," Nicky said, managing a compliment back like a good samaritan.

"But you haven't even looked at me yet."

What was with him today? Why the heck was he flirting? Nicky raised her head and looked at him, even though every instinct told her to not meet his intense eyes.

She saw his smirk falter, it was his turn to skirt his gaze. "Let's go," he instructed before walking towards the exit. The man was nothing if not a mystery.

They walked out of EAE where a car was waiting for them. The Levitating cars were a luxury, only a privileged few had the chance to ride. People on earth used public transport to get around or pedal bicycles. Years ago when burning fossil fuels was still allowed for the common man, the earth had vehicles with wheels. Modern-day cars looked identical to those old cars in design except they ran on superconductors that were fixed to the specially made Recluse 1 roads. The roads of the rich as many people called it. Nicky was excited, to say the least, sitting in one of the world's most luxurious vehicles.

Dan slid in beside her taking up far more space than any average man would have taken. The car was spacious but it wasn't built for 6'7" tall alien.

"Where are we going?" Nicky asked.

"Close to nature," Dan answered. "Away from your people's lifeless building that you enclose yourselves in."

Nicky's heart sped up. She loved nature. Nicky had no idea where exactly he was taking her but she didn't ask further questions, sitting silently beside him enjoying the ride.