Anticipation

Luckily, there was a specific room down in the bunker designated for smoking. Unfortunately, half of the damned junior officers had followed her to smoke as well. One of the little shits had even tried to bum a cigarette off of her, get your own dude! Two of the officers were moderately attractive women, girls to be precise, and four were fresh-faced, doe eyed, boys. Chloe ignored them and did her best to finish her cigarette before her companions summoned their courage to attempt conversation. She failed.

She had initially wondered why so many of them had been sent to keep them company, why send a dozen when you could send one or two? The most senior of their caretakers seemed to handle himself fairly well, he actually seemed grizzled and mature where the rest were more akin to childlike idiots. But, of course, that's why they had been sent down. They were untrained, inexperienced, bottom of the barrel idiots, they had probably been sent down here to keep them out of the way. She soon found out that their commander, Captain Cage, was a combat veteran of dozens of battles, a solid soldier, but he was now incapable of serving on the front line. Apparently, the idiots wouldn't stop gushing about him, the man had seen some shit, some serious shit. He had once been a badass in every possible meaning of the word, but now he was a shell of his former self, mostly broken, only really capable of looking after new recruits.

The young officers weren't shy about how green they were, which she found odd. She had expected the young men, who kept looking at her the way young men do, to try and impress her with bravado and tales of glory. However, they were refreshingly humble. They knew where they stood in the food chain, they knew why they had been sent down here, and wouldn't you know it they were honored. You could see it in their eyes, they were super stoked about being sent to look after Chloe and her companions. It didn't matter that they were basically glorified babysitters, they couldn't care less.

As she conversed with the young officers she hated them less and less, and even found herself getting along with them. They even let a few tiny morsels of information that they probably shouldn't have slip out while they were talking. Apparently, this grand admiral dude had a clone and he was on his way here for safe-keeping. They all wondered if this clone would be as awesome as the real man. This leader of theirs, whoever he was, apparently could do no wrong but the head honcho of the base didn't like him, for some reason.

The boys, and one of the girls, interestingly enough, were also really excited about the clone's lady-friend, she was apparently really hot. Suddenly realizing that Chloe was still in the room several hasty compliments were thrown her way, they certainly didn't think that this fabled beauty had any chance of being hotter than her, score. She found herself enjoying the company so much that she even had as second cigarette... and took the time to make some coffee for Max, she probably needed some after all.

Politely excusing herself from the conversation, she left her new friends and went in search of Max, steaming coffee in hand. She hadn't gone far. She was still in the main room and the holoprojector was once again showing a highly detailed image of the earth and the fleet guarding her, the awesome purple ship was there as well. Cruising in the shadow of the much larger Night Hammer the much smaller ship looked far less dangerous, but Chloe knew better. Max was quietly listening to an intense conversation that the FBI agents were having, mostly led by Walter, and of course, it was about aliens.

Max saw her coming and gratefully accepted the coffee, wolfishly devouring it despite the fact that it was probably still quite hot. As Max thanked her, it quickly became obvious that she was hardly invested in the ongoing conversation. With a subtle nod of her head, Chloe motioned to one of the room's four exits. Her partner's eager nod brought a smile to her lips, hands clasped together, they made their escape.