8) The Meadow

Começar do início

I'm about to back away from the strange situation I've ended up in, when in such synchronisation I wouldn't be surprised if they had agreed on it beforehand, they all turn to face me and I stagger backwards. 

Because these aren't my friends.

Their eyes are black and unblinking, and from their mouths crimson blood drips off of black teeth. The flow of red makes a river on the ground and it rushes towards me, rising higher and higher, getting darker and darker, until it is a tsunami of shadows hurtling towards me.

Yelling every step of the way, I run.

Shuck, shuck, shuck. Stumbling through the undergrowth, I leap over logs and slide under branches in a desperate effort to get away from the murk that laps at my ankles with every step that I take. I grit my teeth and push harder, so hard it feels like my lungs are going to burst. 

My legs burn, feeling like they have been lit on fire, but I reach the meadow without being absorbed by the gloom that roars behind me and dive, relatively unscathed, into the grass. But instead of hitting soft dirt, my head rebounds against something hard, sending stars flying before my eyes.

It isn't grass. It's the Maze.

Shuck, I mutter. As I brush myself off, I clamber up and begin to wander through the labyrinth. I've never had a chance to really look at the Maze, and the sheer immensity of it is astounding. The walls must be hundreds of feet high yet they stand as still as giant statues.

I wonder who could have built things this huge, and why would they trap us inside of them. The moss that coats these behemoths is thick and a deep, forest green. If it wasn't in such a horrible place, it could even have been called pretty.

"Emmeline?" I hear. Shocked, I turn to see who has called me. There's no-one there. 

"Emmeline?!" It's a British accent, and the only person I know other than me who speaks with a British accent is Newt.

"Newt? Where are you? I can't see you" I continue to look around for him, but I'm either being very unobservant or he isn't here.

"Emmeline, run." 

"Run from what? Newt. Run from what?"

"Just run. Run, Emmeline! Go! Run Em, run!" he's shouting now, an alarmed sort of shouting that never means anything good.

I'm still looking frantically around to see him and just ahead of me, there he is waving and jumping about  like a mad-man. I step forwards to go to him, but a shadow appears above me in the sky. I roll out of the way just in time, because crashing down in front of me is a Creature.

It's gargantuan mouth opens in a roar, flashing teeth that are as big as daggers. I scream and run, not daring to look behind me. I know it is following me, because my ears are filled with the scraping of it's metal legs against the maze floor, and the constant shrieks it is emitting.

Darting around corners, I start to lose my breath and it's taking everything not to collapse.

All of a sudden, the chafing noise stops. I run a little longer just to make sure my pursuer has really slowed, before falling to the ground and shutting my eyes. I sit for a moment, basking in the beautiful silence.

I hear a distant yell and jump. A thousand footsteps rattle in my brain. I'm being shaken, someone has my shoulders and they're shaking me. Pushing the invisible hands away, I feel a sharp prick in my neck.

A rush of warm liquid spreading through every vein from my neck down.

More shaking, and yelling. So loud it feels like my head is going to implode.

I'm seeing flashes of light and can hear the faintest words of yelling.

I start to feel more pricks all over my body, and look down to see hundreds of beetle blades crawling across my skin. Startled, I squirm and try to flick them off but there's far too many and soon they completely envelop me.

The last thing I see before the blackness is hundreds of red, red eyes all facing me, just like the girl-things in the meadow.

***********************************************************************************************

A/N: 200 reads?!! I love you guys that read this so bloody much, I'm so grateful for the support <3

Slightly shorter chapter today but hope you enjoyed!! I'm loving writing this Fanfic, so make sure to comment what you liked about it so we can all.... I don't know, love it together?!! Sorry about not uploading until today, I've been really busy with family, but I'll be back into weekly uploads now so all's good.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO VOTE/COMMENT/FOLLOW/LOVE NEWT <3