23. Sweet Goodbyes

Start from the beginning

“Ready.” Hermione nodded, taking her eye off a wobbly pile of cauldrons. They grabbed the stone, closed their eyes for a moment and then opened them again.

Hermione gasped. “F-fred? You look exactly the same as all those years ago!”

Fred grinned. “You definitely don't.” He pointed at her long brown hair, which was now in a bun. “Is that a grey hair I see?”

Hermione's hand shot up to her head, but she chuckled and raised an eyebrow. “Shut up, Weasley.”

Harry smiled too. “It's good to see you, Fred.”

They talked for a few minutes, mainly reminiscing the silly things that had happened over 19 years ago, but also about Harry's and Hermione's life right now. They mentioned their children and Fred needed some explanation on the fact that Harry had chosen to name one of his sons Albus Severus. Even after hearing the full story about Snape he still wondered why one would name his son after a greasy-haired large-nosed grumpy professor who had apparently fancied their mum, but that was probably just him.

“We really have to go now.” Harry stated suddenly, watching the door. “The others will be waiting.”

They had decided to all enter the room one by one, so each could have their own proper goodbye. Fred was okay with that, since picturing his entire family and all his friends trying to hold the Resurrection Stone at once just made him giggle. Mission Impossible for sure, no need to try.

Hermione watched him with sad eyes. Now came the first real goodbye, and Fred didn't want to do this at all.

“Thank you for teaching me how to laugh, Fred.” Hermione said, her voice trembling. “I wish I had been more like you back at school. Fun and amusing and all.”

“Don't you say that, Hermione! You shouldn't wish to change who you are, you're brilliant, just like this.” Fred said. “Even if that means you threatened to tell our mum what we were up to every now and then, or told us off for having fun...” His voice trailed off and he looked at Hermione with a smirk.

Luckily, she smiled too, a single tear dripping down her cheek. “You never change, do you?”

“He never does,” Harry said, “And he better never will, I like him far too much this way.”

“Don't make me blush, Potter!” Fred laughed.

They chuckled, but then Harry coughed and raised his voice. “So, this is goodbye then, I guess.”

“We always loved you, Fred, and we missed you the past nineteen years. And we will miss you again, until the end of our days!” Hermione cried.

“The end of your days, huh?” Fred said. “I don't think that's necessary. I mean, I'm supposed to be dead, and still here I am! My days aren't over yet, and I'm sure I'll see you again some time.”

“We will, we definitely will.” Harry smiled. “Goodbye, Fred.”

Hermione buried her face in Harry's shoulder and muttered a goodbye too. They slowly laid down the stone, both glancing at Fred for one last time, and then quietly left the room. Fred waved, knowing all too well that they couldn't see him.

It didn't take too long for the next people to enter the room. His two oldest brothers shuffled through the door, both with sad looks upon their faces, both not saying a word. They immediately reached for the stone, not paying attention to the messy room as Hermione had done, and held it together. How odd it looked for Fred to see his two bad-ass brothers holding hands.

Bill looked slightly different. His hair wasn't as long as it always had been, it had been cut short but was still flaming red. His style of clothes hadn't changed though, he still wore boots made out of dragon hide and clothes that would be suitable at a rock concert. Fred could also still see a little fang dangling from his ear, though it wasn't as large and obnoxious as he remembered it. The scar that Fenrir Greyback had left on his face was still clearly visible.