05: Sometimes Sunshine Makes Things Better

Start from the beginning

"Do you think I should go up to him now?"

Isaac is reluctant to give advice to Liam about when the correct timing is, cautious that if it all backfires then it will all be his fault.

"Let him enjoy this moment," Isaac says, "let them take photos. You can speak to him at the reception, he'll be doing the rounds anyway."

Isaac knows that Liam shouldn't just be another face while his father is making the rounds. Isaac knows that Liam thinks his father doesn't deserve to enjoy any moments when his son is right there in the same room for the first time in what feels like forever. Isaac knows all this, but he also knows that sometimes you just have to accept things, and wait until it's the right time to strike.

"They better have an open bar," Liam murmurs, "I feel like I'm going to need a drink to get me through tonight."

Isaac would rather Liam didn't. Sure, he's a happy drunk, but that doesn't fill Isaac with anymore confidence with how a drunk conversation between the two men would go.

He's here for moral support though and not to judge, and so he simply nods.

"I guess we'll soon see."

"Do you think I should have got him a gift?" Liam asks.

"His gift is you."

"What? My very presence is a present?"

"Don't you know it, I mean everyone would be honoured to receive your attendance on their wedding day."

"I'm not going to lie Isaac," Liam replies, "but I have a feeling my father might be an exception to that rule. But don't worry, I'll made sure I save the date for yours. I mean I assume I'll be your best man after all, I always thought you were going to marry Via but I guess I'll have to revaluate that idea."

Isaac blushes, for no apparent reason. Liam knows exactly why things didn't work out with Via, I mean Isaac was slightly lowkey scared of her. It wasn't a particularly justified emotion, but Via was far too cool for Isaac. Far too much contrast and nowhere near enough click. Sure they say opposites attract, but there's a limit to that.

Especially when Via is as vibrant as she is and well, Isaac is more on the quiet side.

But there were a few dates, and Liam was on the phone after every one encouraging Isaac to go on just one more. Both he and Via decided enough was enough after three much to Liam's disappointment. He seems to have some sort of fear that Isaac is going to die alone, it's really quite morbid and, in Isaac's opinion, completely unjustified. Just because Liam's been settled for the past two years he seems to think he knows everything about relationships.

Isaac's string of failed dates has proven him wrong multiple times.

Liam's advice never seems to take Isaac much further than the third date, and Isaac is beginning to wonder if maybe there's a reason for that. A reason like being in love with your best friend and as a result ignoring any advice they give.

Not love, Isaac doesn't love Liam. It's just a tiny little crush and it's going to go away soon, Isaac can feel it. His crush and this day are going to disappear like ashes in the wind. Isaac is getting a strange sense of Deja-vu, as if all that advice he gave Daniel is suddenly coming back to haunt him.

He can hear his own voice in his head, repeating those words he spoke only a few months ago. Cut yourself off from him, you're just making it harder for yourself. Isaac decides there's nothing more exciting than ignoring your own advice and so promptly turns to Liam with a smile.

"This reception better have a free bar or I'm going to complain the whole drive home."

"Isaac you can't drink and drive, you don't even drink anyway."