Chapter 4: Another Business Trip

I wake up in the morning with a headache, but nothing a little caffeine can’t fix. I also start to remember the things I said to Lauren last night. I was definitely not myself when I said those things. I shouldn’t have even said anything. I’m not used to being around people while I’m trying to get drunk. I guess I’ll just apologize later since I don't want things to be weird for our project.

I help clean up and head home.

*****

 “Aaron, honey is that you?” That’s a surprise my mother is actually home.

 “Yeah mom, it’s me. I didn’t know you were going to be home.”

 “Oh Aaron I’ve missed you! Sit down I have to tell you something,” my mother says with concern in her eyes. I sit and she goes on, “My job requires me to go away for a month, maybe even more. I want to know if you are going to be okay?”

 “I’ll be fine.” I smile.

 “I’m leaving in an hour, but I put money on your card for food and gas and anything else you’ll need, ok?” I nodded and with that, the conversation ended. She tries to make up for being away by giving me money. I understand it though; I know she’s in pain because of my father. We both are.

 I scroll through my contacts looking for Lauren's number to call her.

 She picks up the phone, “Hello?”

 “Can you come over in a few hours?”

 “What?” She sounds confused.

 “For the project I mean.”

 “Oh, sure.” With that, I end the call.

 About an hour after my mom leaves Lauren shows up.

 I open the door, “Hey listen about yesterday I’m really sorry.”

 “Don’t worry about it,” she continues, “Let’s get to work now.” I feel bad still. I never treat people like that.

 “How about I make it up to you by cooking dinner us dinner?” I smirk.

 “Couldn’t pass up a home cooked meal.” She smiles. Something tells me we’re going to get along just fine.

 I tell her to put her books down in my room and I head to the kitchen to start cooking.

 “How does Chicken Cordon Bleu sound?” I ask her.

 “Sounds perfect to me,” she smiles a little and asks, “So where did you learn to cook?”

 “Well aren’t you just a Curious George,” I tease her.

 “Yes I am. So are you going to tell me?”

 “Well as you can see, I’m home alone a lot. I don’t have anyone to cook for me. Ever since my dad…” I froze, “Well ever since him, my mom doesn’t like to be home and I had to learn to cook for myself. So I figured it out on my own.” She gave me a sad smile and lifted her hand to my shoulder as if to say she’s sorry.

"So who's Lucas?" I try to make conversation.

"Uh," She hesitates, "Just a friend."

"Pretty girl like you has just friends?" I smirk at how she's blushing.

"Oh be quiet," Her face as red as a tomato. I just smile. She is actually quite attractive. If I weren't so fucked up I would try to make a move. 

I finish making dinner and we sit in silence and eat. I walk over to the cabinet and take out some wine and pour myself a glass. She nods, so I pour her a little too. 

"You never fail to surprise me," She breaks the silence.

"How so?" I ask.

"You're not as scary as I thought," she says softly.

"I'm quite nice if I do say so myself," I chuckle. We continue our conversation and then do our project. I don't think about my dad for a while. It's nice, she puts my mind at ease. 

*****

Lauren went home an hour ago. I sit back and watch some TV and am interrupted by a knock on the door. I open it and a familiar face is standing in front of me.

"Blake? Come on in," I say confused. 

"Hey man, thought I'd drop by with a little treat," He places a big baggie of weed in my hand. I smile.

"Fuckkkkk yes, you're the best."

"That's not all, though." I look at him questioningly.

"Sooooo, I overheard my mom talking about your dad on the phone," He pauses, "She was saying something about a secret apartment of your dads that she found in the paperwork..."

I take a deep breath, "An apartment?"

"She wrote down the address and access code, but she's off on business and doesn't seem too interested in it. I was thinking we smoke a joint and then go look for it." I just nod at him. A secret apartment? As far as I knew my dad didn't NEED an apartment. Blake, my cousin, and I haven't really been that close since my dad died. He does always hook me up with some bomb weed though, and  for that I am thankful. He rolls it up and we start smoking. I, of course, am racking my brain to figure out what my dad needed another place for...