𝙫. jill vs. the homo sapiens agenda

Start from the beginning

Jill barely even remembered waking up that morning. It was just a blur of bliss and laughter as the two of them dressed for the day. No anger plagued her mind. Jill had to borrow some of Beverly's clothes—a second hand light blue dress that buttoned down the front. Jill hated dresses, but she didn't feel like sneaking back into her house. Plus, she liked the thought of wearing Beverly's clothes. Beverly was dressed in a patterned, off-white colored dress, and she looked great as usual.

The girls quickly snuck out the front door, grabbing snacks in the process so they wouldn't go hungry. Once the door closed behind them, they ran to their bikes, mounted them, and carried on down the road to the Quarry. The summer breeze felt deliciously tingly on Jill's skin as she zipped past Beverly, her laughter echoing through the air.

"Jill Samson, you come back here!" Bev shouted, peddling to the metal to catch up with her friend who was laughing hysterically.

The two arrived at the path to the Quarry, surrounded by tall trees and a windy summer breeze. Jill hopped off her bike, the smell of freshwater infiltrating her senses as she stared into the cluster of vibrant greens. The Quarry was nearby, probably just a few feet from where the girls stood, which made Jill's blood boil. Not a lot of people went to the Quarry, mostly because in the fifties a group of boys went there then the next day they were reported missing and their bodies were never found. That scared the town of Derry—the uncertainty of the unknown. However, Jill and Beverly had gone there many times since, but today they weren't alone. Today they had to deal with other people and Jill didn't know how to handle that along with trying to control her temper.

A strained sigh escaped her lips as she stared into the forest, trying to find the light at the end, but only darkness clouded her view. Her vision blurred and she could have sworn she saw someone in the shadows of the forest. "Jilly," a voice whispered her name. She glanced at Beverly, but the girl was too busy trying to get her bike to stand on its own. There was no way she could have called out to her. Her eyes snapped back to the forest, but nothing out of the ordinary stood out to her. The heat must have been getting to her, after all, it was awfully hot even for Jill, and she could take the heat, trust her.

The water was probably cold or at least chilled like a glass of water filled with ice. Sure, it was green and murky, but it was still cold and maybe the cool water would relieve her burning skin. She imagined as soon as the water engulfed her body, her skin would sizzle from the contact. The thought almost made Jill laugh.

"You ready?" Beverly asked, bringing the girl out of her trance. Her fave was rosy and graced with a charming smile. Even her hair looked more vibrant in the light. She really was the prettiest girl Jill had ever seen.

"Um . . . " Jill tried to think if she was prepared to deal with boys who probably didn't even wear deodorant for the rest of the day. The chime of church bells from the only church in all of Derry interrupted her thoughts, but it wasn't the tune that caught her attention. Along with the chime of the bells, she could hear the voices of the premature boys up ahead. Anger infiltrated Jill and she quickly regretted allowing Beverly to drag her there in the first place. A part of her had wished they had the time wrong which would leave them to swim alone, just the way Jill liked it.

"Maybe we should go back," Jill bitterly muttered.

"Come on, Jill," Beverly pleaded as if to say 'just try'.

Jill rolled her eyes and dropped her bike, starting to cross her arms but before she could, Beverly tugged on Jill's hand and ran. For a second, Jill forgot about the boys waiting for them, her focus was solely on the hand holding hers.

As the two approached the group, the boys stayed completely oblivious to the two girls behind them. Jill shook her head. Idiots.

Jill reluctantly detached herself from Beverly and stealthily stalked toward the group, more specifically, toward Richie Tozier. She had her sights on startling him the second his stocky figure came into view. He had his arms crossed over his chest as he shivered and dug the heel of his foot into the dirt. Jill almost laughed right then.