Chp 1: Growing up

Amber's POV

I put my bags into the back of my car. "I'm gonna miss you so much." My mom said crying on my shoulder. " Don't worry, its not like I'll be with a stranger. And I'll be here for the holidays." I reassured her. She sniffled and looked me in the eye. "Just promise me you'll try to stay safe?" "When am I not?" I smiled back. I looked down at my watch. "Well, I better go." I gave her and my dad a hug, then jumped in the car. "We'll miss you sweetie!" My mom yelled while I was driving down the road.

Once I arrived on campus I started grabbing some boxes. "AMBER!" I girl yelled making everyone look at her. I gave a small smile as it was my friend, Madi. She ran over and gave me the biggest hug. "Its been so long! How have you been!" I continued laughing. "I just saw you yesterday!" She grabbed half the stuff from my car. "So! I'm just excited! We can finally be treated like adults and have some fun!" I smiled and continue getting settled in.

Out of the two of us, she's the people person. Able to stand up and help others, always kind. Most defiantly is outgoing and doesn't care what people think of her. Also has an amazing fashion sense and is not to mention drop dead gorgeous. If it wasn't for her, I'd be sitting in my room all day with little to no human contact.

Now that's we're in collage though, I want to change that. To try and be a happier person and to trust people more. I laughed, as if that was gonna happen just like that. "What's so funny?" Madi asks. "I just can't believe you did that. That was so embarrassing." I joked. "Oh was it." She gave me a devious grin. "HEY EVERYONE THIS IS AMBER AND SHE'S FABULOUS AND SINGLE!" People laughed as I was standing there embarrassed as all hell. "Shut up!" I yelled with not a sign of seriousness to it. This was gonna be a fun year.

We had put all our stuff away after a little while. I took a step back to admire it. There wasn't much to it. Just 2 plain beds, a wooden nightstand between, and 2 desks witch our computers were set on. "I'm tired." Madi said plopping herself on her bed. "We could just hang out here." "Nope! Lets go out to the movies or something!" I laugh. "You just said you were tired." "I'm never to tired to go out on the town. And plus it's our first night here! First night on our own and we can do whatever we want." She slips on her boots as I do the same and we walk out to the car. "So the movies?" I ask, but she grabs my arm and we start walking down the sidewalk. "Lets just walk around, get a feel for the place." "Yeah, yeah nature girl. Lets walk." She smiles as we walk into the city.

We walk into a coffee shop and we get the drink we normally get. "Can I get a vanilla frappaccino and a hot chocolate?" I ask politely. "Name?" "Amber." When we got our drinks, we sat down and drank. I look just slightly past Madi to see a boy looking in our direction. Brown hair that he flips just as I look over. Tall guy, looks to be about our age. "Hey Madi, there's someone looking at you." And from my tone, she got that it was a guy. So she quickly smoothes out her hair. "Is my makeup ok?" I smile. "Dood, when is it not?" She smiles back and continues to drink her coffee.

A few minutes pass by and he stands up and walks in our direction. I snap twice and tap our table once(our secret way to tell each other someone's coming). "Hey girls, is anyone sitting here?" He points to the third chair at our table. Madi taps the chair and he sits down. "So what are you two doing out this evening?" He asked so politely. "Just getting a feeling for the town. We're attending the college just a little outside the town." Madi excitedly answered. "Really? That's where I'll be going as well!" "That's awesome!" Madi smiled. "My name is Tyler by the way, never got yours." "I'm Madi, and this is Amber." I gave Tyler a small wave and he chuckles. "That's where I've seen you two before! You ran up to her and looked like you squeezed the air out of her this afternoon!" Great, he saw that. "It was cute, I've never seen people as excited as you two to go to college together." "Yeah, we were both pretty excited that we got in." I tell him, yet he always seems shocked when I speak. "I'm glad you girls did, or else I wouldn't have met you." He smiles, more directed towards me this time. "Well, school starts tomorrow so we should probably head or separate ways." I look at my phone and it was already 8. "Probably should. Well it was nice to meet you Tyler!" Madi said shaking his hand. He held his hand out for me, which I hesitantly shook. He smiled despite my nervousness and held the door for us on our way out.

"He was so cute!" Madi said nudging me. "Why are nudging me for? He was so into you." I said with a smile. "You've got to be kidding! He would look at you so passionately when you talk." "I think your mixing up confusion with passion." She gives me a friendly shove. "Well you must think he's attractive, do you not?" She asks, watching the blush appear on my face. "Who wouldn't honestly?"

We talked about the encounter all the way home. She had somehow convinced me to let her do my makeup tomorrow as well. Geez, how she worked that into the conversation still leaves me thinking. And with that, we hit the hay early.