Chapter 21

Chapter 21

The foggy air rolls in making it difficult to see and Aidan gives my hand one last reassuring squeeze before letting go and shifting. I can feel my heart rate rise in anticipation as David's pack rushes towards our pack, and the wolves in our pack sprint ahead of the rest of us. I slide my sword out of the case and am almost caught off guard by an attacking wolf, but I burn him before he gets too close, making him recoil away from me. I engulf my sword in flames slashing his side and before he has the chance to heal I push him to the ground and snapping his neck.
I quickly stand only to be pushed down again, my sword flying out of my hand and clattering down onto a rock somewhere as an immense black wolf snarls in my face, ready to kill me and keeping me pinned to the ground. I immediately rip my emergency knife from my waist and shove it as hard as I can up into it's belly. He cringes in pain, giving me an extra couple seconds to scramble out of under his huge body, but before I even have a chance, Aidan decks the large wolf, "Run, I've got him." he commands, so I shove the knife back into my side pouch and grab my sword, my heart racing.
Out of the woods behind me, I hear the roars of various animals as they come invade the battlefield, and any hope that I had for us to have an easy win vanishes. Some people get distracted, trying to fight off the animals and the Helthums take them by surprise, and I can see this entire battle falling apart in front of me. I throw my knives into the bears in effort to help, wounding them so that it will be easier to kill them, but more animals keep coming out of the forest, the only way to stop this is to kill the Alphena. I try to pick her out of the crowd, but I don't have enough time before I feel a sharp pain in my side and get thrown against a hill, my head smashing back onto a rock. I cry out in pain, holding the sides of my head to protect it from any further assault. I glance down at my side to see a huge bleeding wolf bite, and I take deep breaths, willing it to heal before the wolf comes back to kill me.
I bring one hand away from behind my head when I feel something wet and sticky, and I see blood covering my hand. Through my blurry eyesight I see Aidan -I think it's him, at least- fighting off the one that was victimizing me. I close my eyes tightly as my skin starts to grow back over the bite, healing, along with the gash on my head. I open my eyes back up to see Aidan's large, furry one in my face, and he licks me, and I lightly smack his snout away, "Do you know where their Alphena is?" I ask him, and he nods, looking behind me, and I see a large sea of wolves guarding one, and I see that she's right below a cliff, "Take me up to the cliff above her." I pull myself up and on Aidan's back, wielding my knife, and he runs up above her without anyone noticing or following us. I begin to feel a lot better as I slide off of his back and stand, taking a couple of deep breaths, before waving to Aidan and jumping off towards the Alphena, and he tries to stop me, but he's too late.
I land right on her luckily, decking her to the ground. I tightly grip the fur on her neck and stabbing the knife into it, leaving it there and creating a circle of fire around me and pushing it out and away from my body so that everyone backs off. Before anyone can gather the courage to rush through my flames, I stomp the heel of my boot down into the Alphena's skull. Her life slips away, and I rip the knife out of her neck and scale up the cliff to evade her guards. I jab the knife into the rock to help pull my body up, just out of reach of the werewolves bared teeth that keep jumping up to snap at me. I lift my leg up, and kick it into the next wolf that tries to get me, and she lets out a whine, shaking her head after she stands back up.
All of them exchange glances and they run off, leaving me alone. All of the wolves in the Helthum pack seem to disappear, and soon I find out why. The strong scent of vampire fills the air, we may be used to Dawson, but I guess it's just her in particular, because this is just as repulsive as ever. I yank my knife out of the rock, jumping down to the ground and putting it back in the case and Aidan runs by me, slowing down to let me jump on his back. I hold on tightly as he runs away as fast as he can, the rest of our pack close behind. I begin to wonder how many of us managed to survive, and who died; because death was inevitable. I glance behind me, and almost sigh in relief when I see Blake, Wyatt, Owen, and Dawson, but the vampires are close behind, and it seems like they're pushing us into the public.
No, they can't be. They'd be exposing us, and exposing themselves while they're at it. They shouldn't be doing this, are they stupid? We get to the edge of the woods, and we're right near the town and we can't run any farther. There's too many of them to risk fighting another battle, so this must be the day our secret gets out. I brace myself for the shock of the town, and we push through into the streets, it's mid day and everyone is out, leaving us nowhere to hide.
The screeches and screams of the public's terror fill my ears, and the vampires stop chasing us, running wild through the town. I spot Dawson, who is obviously having a tough time controlling herself because she isn't used to being around humans, she's one accidental scrape of the knee away from killing someone, and we have to do something about it. We don't have time to worry about the police sirens, we have to worry about the vampires keeping their teeth to themselves. Some of the others in human forms restrain her, as the police arrive, pointing their guns at us; more specifically the wolves. I scoff, their bullets can't hurt us, if they shoot they're only going to be hurting themselves or other regular humans, who have run away. Helicopters fly above us, and I can only guess that it's news reporters. I slide off of Aidan's back, approaching the police despite their warnings to shoot me, and I feel a couple bullets smash against my skin, compressing into tiny coins and falling to the ground.
I smirk at their baffled faces, and I sit on the hood of one of the cars, "Stop wasting your bullets, kay?" I say to them, and they put down their guns, "Aidan, come here."
Aidan starts trotting over, and they scramble to pick up their guns, and I grab each of their wrists, stopping them, "What are we going to do about this, I think we have to tell them at this point." He stops right next to me, and I put my hand on his back, running my fingers through the fur. "There are vampires everywhere and we have to get them out without them trying to kill us."
I sigh, "Alright now, we're werewolves, and there are vampires everywhere in your town right now and if you wouldn't mind not trying to get in our way, we'll get them out." I break the news to them and they seem to not want to believe it, so since I'll have to shift anyway, I guess I'll just do it now. I back away and shift, turning around and run off, leaving Aidan to deal with them and go to clear out the vampires, they're separated from each other now so it'll be easier.

I sit in the room that the police decided to hold me captive in- thanks, hunters, for telling them about wolvesbane. They put so much in here I can hardly think straight, they've been questioning me for hours, and I think I'm going to kill myself pretty soon, my head is pounding with a headache. The other's are almost definitely being held captive, too, and they won't let us out because they think we're a danger to them. "I told you, you put too much in here." I take in a difficult breath, the strong scent of the plant is making everything hard to do.
"You just want to be able to get out, why won't you just tell us where all of you live? How many of you werewolves are there?" The man demands, slamming his hands down on the table. I glare at him, waiting for him to give up already, I can't tell them anything, and he leaves, slamming the door behind him for the fifth time. He's going to come back eventually, but for now I'm alone, so I shakily get up from my chair and push all of the wolvesbane into one corner of the room, hoping it will help if I stay in the opposite corner. I breathe through the fabric of my shirt, feeling slightly relieved. Hunters just had to come and fuck up the whole day, didn't they? They managed to shoot all of us, we weren't expecting them, they should have been able to figure out that we were trying to help them, anyway! Still, they had hidden in buildings all over town, shooting us with wolvesbane and then had the police take us and shove us in these intoxicating rooms. Of course, though, the Helthum pack had fled before even trying to kill any of the vampires, because they're useless assholes.