Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Everybody leans in a little closer when the medic, Josh, begins to speak, "Well, she uhh; I couldn't get the venom out, so now at this point it's either death or being a vampire." Josh says in a soft voice, probably hoping Owen won't take his rage out on him, because recently he's been pretty angry, and right now everything just seems to be building up. I watch his fists clench and relax repeatedly, and Josh walks out of the room without another word, and Owen's fist crashes into a wall as he screams curses, and he walks into the room that Dawson's in, shutting the door behind him. I curl up into a ball, hugging my knees and Aidan's arms wrap around me, so I lean into him and his head rests on top of mine. I can't help but feel somewhat guilty about this, I was one of the people who was supposed to be protecting her. Owen's probably heart broken and he definitely doesn't know what to do, his mate is either going to die or going to be our natural enemy, and we'll have to decide what to do about this by morning, because that's about how long the transformation is going to take, and it's making me nervous.
I don't know how Dawson will react to all of this, she's going to have to drop off of the face of the earth according to everyone who knows her so that she doesn't kill them, or she could always just slaughter the whole town, that works too, I guess... According to what we know about vampires, during the change typically they stay conscious the whole time, if they're going to make it through the change, that is. They apparently feel like they're having their entire being ripped apart due to the rapid changes taking place. Owen must be listening to her pleas for him to kill her, I can't hear what's going on in there because that room is sound proof. I hate seeing the image my mind created of her tense, writhing body shaking in immense pain, it makes me feel worse about not being able to protect her.
I don't notice it until Aidan wipes a tear from my face, but at some point I had begun to cry, "Hey, it's going to be alright, let's go upstairs, kay?" His warm voice whispers in my ear, trying not to disturb the other people in the room around us, and I nod, letting him left me up off of the couch and carry me to my room, and we lay under the covers together as the tears continue to silently streak down my face. Aidan frowns, "Do you want to talk about it?" He mumbles, and I shake my head, I'd rather just keep my thoughts to myself for now. I cuddle myself up as close I can to Aidan, wanting to feel his comforting warmth, and I close my eyes, and sometime during all of my guilty thoughts and feelings, I fall asleep.

I rub my eyes, walking into the room where Owen remains sitting, griping tightly onto Dawson's hand. He hasn't slept all night, and he merely glances up to me, and then straight back to Dawson. "Owen, you need to sleep, this won't be finished for another couple hours, I'll wake you up then, ok?" I rub my hand on his shoulder, and she shakes his head, bringing her trembling hand closer to his face, and kissing it.
Owen looks up to me from his chair, "I literally can't sleep, not while she's like this, my body won't let me sleep." He looks into Dawson's painful eyes, which are beginning to change color, they were once a light blue, but they're changing into another color, one less human and more supernatural.
Dawson tries to cough out some strained words, "Jo-ordan, what's going to h-happen? He's not-t telling me anything." She manages to choke out, making my heart shatter to pieces, hearing her like that definitely racks up the guilt I'm already feeling.
I shoot a look at Owen, he should tell her these things, but he probably can't bring himself to say it, "You know you're going to turn into a vampire, I'm guessing, and whats going to happen is you're going to experience a lot of changes, physically, and probably mentally, I'm not really sure. We're probably going to smell repulsive to you, like you'll smell that way to us, with the exception of Owen, and one more thing, you're going to want to kill any human you see until you gain more control."

"I think it's almost over." Aidan grips my hand tightly, and we watch Dawson's eyes squeeze tightly shut, and her heart suddenly stops, and we all glance at each other, waiting for something to happen. Dawson's chest rises as she finally takes another -useless, by the way- breath, wrinkling her nose, discomforted by how we smell to her, and she lets her eyes open again. Her eyes are orange, like Owen's, and I grin, and she focuses on Owen's face, giving him a small smile. I notice that she doesn't breathe in again, not wanting to smell anything. I look up at Aidan, and he looks at me with a small smile.
"I'm nervous about what's going to happen, we'll have to contain her somehow, but she also needs the blood, right?" I say to Aidan, and he shrugs slightly, what we know about vampire is limited since no werewolf has dared to make friends with one to figure out more, so whatever is going to happen is new knowledge to us.
Dawson moves and sits on the edge of the bed, and Owen immediately gets up, holding both of her hands in his and standing in front of her, "Why does my throat feel so dry?" She holds the front of her neck, using up the breath she had taken in a while ago to speak. Owen frowns, glancing over at me, and then looking down at the floor. This must be so hard for him, and he has no choice but to do his best to make this work, because if she dies or she leaves, he'll be broken inside for the rest of his life.
He sighs, looking her in the eyes, "It's because you need blood, and the only reason you aren't killing us for ours is because our blood is repulsive to you." Owen says in a hushed voice, not wanting to say the words or believe that this is actually happening. Dawson takes in another quick breath, making another unpleasant face. "Do I smell bad to you, too?" His words sound hurt, he wants her to be able to be around him easily, and it wont be easy if he smells like that to her.
She shrugs, "I'm not really sure, there's too many other scents in here." She takes in another breath, but through her mouth this time, and her eyes wander around the room, eventually looking directly at me for the first time and smiles slightly. "Can't I do something other than kill people for their blood, like animals or something?"
We all exchange glances, we've never known of such a thing happening. "We don't know," Mike says from behind me, "you're welcome to try, if you like." He tells her, and she nods her head.
"But how am I supposed to kill them?" She asks, which is kind of a stupid question, she should know that she's extremely powerful by now.
"You're incredibly strong, I think you'll manage. Owen, Travis, and Marie can go with you now." Mike offers up Owen and my parents, and she merely nods, standing up and letting Owen guide her outside with both of my parents following. We all leave the room, and Aidan gives me a tight hug.
"Everything's going to be fine, I promise, Dawson seems just fine, and maybe if this works, just maybe, she won't have to kill any humans." He relaxes his grip around me, and pulls back slightly to look at me.
I sigh, shaking my head, "That's a lot of 'maybe's, Aidan," I whisper, I know that he's just trying to make me feel better because he knows how concerned I am, he can probably sense it. I wiggle out of his arms, and walk back upstairs to my room to take a shower, since I didn't have a chance to yesterday. When I'm done, I throw on sweatpants and one of Aidan's big tee shirts and put my hair up into a messy bun. I sit cross legged on my bed, and I hear a knock on the door. Probably Aidan, "Come in." I say, and surely enough, he opens the door, smiling at me and shutting the door behind him. He bends down, giving me a kiss.
"Is that my shirt?" He furrows his eyebrows together, and I grin, nodding, and he gives me another kiss, "I want that back." He pushes me gently down to the bed, making me lay down as he lays over me, kissing me again, and I realize what he's going for.
I put my hand on his chest, pushing him back lightly, "I know what you're trying to do." I say in a half whisper.
Aidan sights, "Do you trust me?" He asks that one simple question that in my world isn't so simple.
"I do, but-"
"Do you trust me enough for this?"
"I... I don't know, maybe?" My words come out as more of a question, I can't even get a grasp on my feelings about this right now, there's too much going on for this. "But even if I did, right now isn't a good time, anyway, okay?" I manage to get out of the situation with a reasonable excuse, and he just nods his head, rolling over to next to me. We just lay there in silence for a good, peaceful five minutes, and I spend my time thinking about everything that has happened ever since I had gotten home from training, and I realize that my life has turned into a complete mess, and also that I've spent a lot of time just thinking lately. Too much thinking is a bad thing, in my opinion at least, because then you spend too much time dwelling on things, and that's exactly what I've been doing. Stupid brain, making me think too much. I sigh, running my fingers through me hair and sitting up, scooting myself back against the wall, and Aidan does the same, and holds my hand gently.
With his other hand, he turns my face to look at him, "What are you thinking?" His soft voice brings my mind back to reality, and I rest my head on his shoulder.
"Everything." I state simply.
I can hear his smile, "Well that's broad." Aidan gives a small laugh. From downstairs I hear the faint sound of the door opening, and slamming shit after a few moments, and my best guess is that Owen, Dawson, and my parents are back, and I quickly spring myself off of the bed, and out the door, followed by Aidan. We rush down the stairs and find them all gathered in the kitchen with a pleased look on their faces.
"Did it work? Please tell me it worked because if it didn't we've got a lot of figuring out to do." I ask eagerly, looking at mom and dad, hoping and praying with all my heart that we found a solution, and mom grins at my eagerness, and I believe that it worked from the reactions I'm getting, but I need to hear them say it.
I stare at them, impatience growing within me, "It works great, but she's complaining about the taste." Mom says, and I jump up and down, spinning in a circle, and without thinking I hug Dawson, but soon when i take in a breath, I smell the strong, repulsive scent of vampire, yet it smells somewhat different from a normal one, not as bad somehow, and I quickly pull away from the hug.
"Sorry." She notices my reaction to her scent that I did my best to hide, not wanting to make her feel like I don't like her because of this, and I'm guessing that she hasn't inhaled since she got into the house to make things easier for herself.
I shake my head, "No, don't apologize, this isn't your fault, and I'm sure we can get used to how we smell to each other." I give her a smile, and she nods.
"I'm sure you noticed that she doesn't smell like a normal vampire," Dad begins, and I nod, "we're guessing its because of the animal blood, and she also told us that now we don't smell as bad to her either, also probably because of the animal blood." He leans on the counter, making sense of our current situation. He's probably already talked o the Alpha about this, so I'd bet that he's trying to work something out for us to do with her, because we're obviously not going to kill her, because if we do we may as well kill Owen with her. He seems to be happy despite everything that's going on, his arm laced around Dawson's body, smiling at her. I've got to admit, she's really pretty, even though she's pale as hell.
"Did you tell her that she has to pretty much drop off of the face of the earth and never speak to her family or friends again yet?" I ask my family, making a big deal out of it. I'm kind of afraid of how she will react when we tell her, if they haven't yet. If she snaps, shit's goin' down, and it's not going to be good. We don't know much about new vampires, but we do know they tend to have a short fuse, and that that they've got a big explosion.
"Ehhh, no." Owen answers me, and I shoot him a disappointed look. I guess we're going to have to do this now, then.
I look at Dawson, who seems alright with her current state, she should get used to it after a while, but she needs to know that she cant be in any contact with anyone who knows her. "So, Dawson, there's no easy way to say this, but you can't be talking to any of your old friends or your family, and in their eyes, you have to go missing, never to be found." I manage to tell her, and I watch her face fall into a frown and she looks at the ground.
"I kind of had a feeling." She says in a small voice, understanding our reasoning without us needing to tell her; she saw how desperately those vampires wanted her blood yesterday, and she knows if she had the opportunity, she may be like that too. Owen rubs Dawson's back, trying to console her.
"The only problem we have now is finding a way to let everyone know you're gone and not have them think we did something to you." Mom says, and she has a point. She told her parents that she would be with us, and she never made it back home, what are they going to think?