CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

TANNER

When the door slams shut I look up at the room, nothing seemed to be different. "Hah," Dominic smiled when he sat back down beside me.

"What?" I shake my head and look up from my work.

"She ran out so fast."

My heart sinks into my chest and impulsively look over to where Natalie was sitting... she's gone.

"What did you do?"

"Oh, nothing, just gave her a present." Did he think this was a joke? Why was this funny to him? I see paper left on her desk and I stand up to retrieve it. After one quick look at the paper I turn back toward Dom. Thumb out. Fist tight. Whoosh.

"Mister Tanner," Mrs Haft stands from her chair as if to yell at me to get out.

"Don't worry ma'am, I'm leaving." I walk back to get my things that give a final glance to Dom who holds his face back with his hand attending his bleeding nose. Serves him right. How dare he make fun of Nat?

I make my way to my locker, hoping she'll be there and if not I can at least put my laptop in there so I don't have to run around with it, I can also pick up a delivery.

She isn't there. I dump my shit and grab her present, then start heading around the school, first up to the hall and the courtyard in front of it, no sign of her. Then to the quad. I f course mistake one of my posters for her and my heart begins to race... then stops again when I realise she isn't real.

The poster reads 'Have you seen this girl. Likes Sean Connery, Pig Latin and sequels (except Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)' I thought that was a very cute detail. The reason I chose the year 9 photo was for several reasons, reason 1) I still had a whole stack left over from last year, and reason 2) That's when the flirting started. The preparation for the joke. The hours. The late nights... the expressions on her face when she 'got' me.

'I have something very important to give to her. If seen please contact Tanner. No reward.' The last line on the poster states. After searching the quad it clicks, the car park, she's probably left by now. I make my way up the staff area knowing she sometimes parks up that way. No sign of her car. I keep walking closer to the exit, still I can't see her car. I'm about to break into a sprint toward my own car so I can drive over to her place before I spot hers. The car sits perfectly still, waiting to be driven.

She's still here.

I make my way to the library and do a quick search, looking behind shelfs and places she could be hiding. Then it hits me.

The incline to the science rooms is steep so when I reach the top I have to take a minute and pause with my hands on my knees, doubled over.

The Brooks Oval was behind the building and I didn't want to emerge in-front of her all puffed-out and gross. My breathing becomes lighter and I make to courageous decision to turn to corner.

There she was. Natalie Hart. She was facing the other way, sitting cross-legged on the oval. I'm quite glad she isn't facing this way, she could have run off and I'm not in best shape to run after her. I would thought. I'd run far.

I keep the present behind my back as I quietly walk up to her. Approaching her on her right I sit down. She doesn't say anything, neither do I. She acknowledges I'm there by wiping a tear from her face and looking away from me. She almost chuckles. "Hey."

"Hey." I place the present behind me to my right, she can't see it. "You okay?"

She nods. I don't want to touch her, I'd probably make it worse... right? Her nodding turns into shaking, she bows her head again and sobs. I don't care if I'm not supposed to touch her, too bad.

I place my hand on the small of her back and slowly rub in a circle. I move my hand slowly toward her shoulder and pull Nat into me. "It's okay," she looks up at me when I say it. She has tears all down her front and snot all around her nose, probably on my shirt now. Yet she still looks so beautiful, so Disney princess like.

She looks back down from my eyes and gently nudges her head between my shoulder and arm. She could probably hear my heart beat. Growing faster. "I'm so sorry for everything." I say calmly.

"It's okay," she wipes her face with the back of her hand, slowly getting up. I'm disappointed when I lose the heat of her beside me, however my hand is still around her shoulder.

I rub her shoulder up and down, trying to comfort her, it must have worked because she moved her head back, making my breaths become shallower.

"Your heart is pumping fast." She states, like it's nothing, when it in fact warms up all my insides.

The wind around us is subtle, but still there, her hair flutters around as does mind. When a large gust of wind comes along it takes some paper with it too, the paper that I had beside me.

"Shit," I curse and let go of her shoulder trying to untangle me from her. Chasing after a piece of paper I'm sure looks as horrifying as I think it does.

"Help," I laugh out to her and she laughs back at me 'No'.

After running half way across the oval the paper lands in a bit of mud, of course. Only the bottom of the letter is ruined, but still.

Natalie runs up after me with something in her hand, my gift to her. "Tanner, what is this?" My heart skips a beat when she says my name.

"Nothing," I smile obviously indicating it isn't nothing.

"Is it for moi?" she points to herself. I don't even have the courage to nod, instead I lunge for it. Maybe this was a stupid idea, I should just take it back. I dodge around her but she spins, holding the present behind her back. Clearly enjoying watching me struggle.

"No, give it." I chase her. "Come on." She turned back and gave it a little wave, teasing me. "That is so not cool." I make a run for her earning a scream. Hopefully not too loud, we were deserted but not that deserted.

She's arm's length away and she begins to scream again, half out of fear and half joy. "Shh-hhh" I laugh with her as I tackle her to the ground.

I'm still saying 'shhh' until I realise she stopped screaming, and I'm the only one making noise. It's quite literally just me and Nat.