Thirty-Five - Phone Call

Luna's fingers were shaking as she stared down at her phone, watching the three text bubbles pop up before quickly disappearing. She startled a bit once her phone began to ring and she dropped it on her bed, watching as Wyatt's name showed on her screen. It took our rings before she finally snatched it up and pressed answer.

"Wyatt?" Luna whispered after a few beats of silence. She thought she heard a sigh of relief on the other line and almost wanted to cry, just hearing a puff of air from Wyatt made her heart speed up even more.

"Luna oh my god, oh my god. It's, it's so nice to hear your voice again, jeez," Wyatt quickly burst out, relief flooding his body as he clutched his own phone even tighter. "How are you? I never even ended up asking because I was too busy, y'know, ranting." He laughed a bit and Luna squeezed her eyes shut as she breathed out a laugh.

"I'm great Wyatt, really good. Mia and I got a new place? She's my legal guardian now, so I'm a lot safer, but a lot more limited with stuff. No more last minute cross country trips anymore." She laughed softly and her shaking had finally begun to calm down. "We got a dog, he's super fluffy and I love him a lot." Mentioning love made her stomach twist, not in an unpleasant way.

"Yeah I saw Mia's picture, hes cute. I know you're limited now, but god I am so glad you're out of that house."

"Me too."

The two sat in silence for a few more moments, just listening to the others breathe and exist, even for those few moments. Luna felt tears start to flood her eyes and she quickly sniffled, trying to avoid the oncoming tears. Tears started to slide down her face and she scrubbed them away with the back of her hand. Another sniffle and she tried to cover it with a cough, didn't work though.

"Luna, babe, are you crying?"

Luna laughed again and wiped away more tears. "You called me babe again."

"I guess I did. But Luna, seriously. Are you okay?"

"I'm just happy. Happy that I get to talk to you again, can hear your voice, happy that you're calling me babe."

"I can keep doing it if you'd like."

"Yeah." Luna nodded and giggled. "Yeah Wyatt I'd really like that."