A Note On Style

Dear Reader,

Pull up a chair, I've got something to tell you before you start reading "Silver Oak Welcomes You!"

Coffee? Help yourself.

The novel you are about to read is written in a style popular in the 1700s, not today. You won't find grand scenes with fast-paced action and heartbreaking, stark dialog. That didn't develop until later. You won't find many scenes at all, actually.

If fact, you might be led to think this novel breaks every hard and fast rule you've learned about "successful" modern stories from creative writing books and writing gurus.

Good.

The novel has taken many forms before the one we know today. The form this one takes is that of the 'humorous conversation'.

It was meant to create the feeling of sitting together with the narrator -- much as you would do with a good friend over a cup of coffee -- and listening to them as they tell you a humorous story. Asides, jokes, even funny voices were a part of this style. That was how closeness and engagement was created. If you didn't like the 'friend', you probably didn't like the novel.

Well, I hope you like me and the story I'm going to tell you about the utterly insane place that is Silver Oak.

......oh, I almost forgot...this novel is set in a fictional Midwestern America. If you really are from the Midwest of the United States, don't take this portrayal of your region as fact, but as a metaphor for a larger idea.

See you in the prologue!

Holly Anderson