Butterfly

Butterfly 

Part One: When shall we three meet again, in thunder, lightning or rain?

AN: Hey guys, this is a new story that kind of just came to me in a dream so I decided to build around it! I hope you enjoy it =]

Much Love, 

Kylie.x

Water dropped down in tiny beads, one by one, into the pool of grimy liquid. The shackles hanging from the stone roof above the rocky pool swung and clashed against each other. One pair was clamped around the ankles of a barely conscious woman who groaned; unaware of what was going on. She was so close to the water that the tips of her hair floated on top.

Something beneath the surface of the murky water moved and swam around. They were taunting the woman, teasing her, but they wouldn't show her their form.

Her wrists were chained to her rag covered back, her body covered in dirt, cuts and dried blood. She was pale and clothed in tan coloured rags and her blood had rushed to her head. She was a slave to the new world. 

Her chest moved up and down rapidly and her body began to writhe.

A slow, spine chilling melody came from the water, filling the darkness with song. Hundreds of tiny blue, almond shaped lights shone up from the pool, causing the woman to chant in a strange language as her eyes rolled into the back of her head. The lights began to swarm beneath the woman and the tuneful melody turned to high pitched screeches, getting louder and higher, louder and higher, before stopping altogether. Then suddenly, hundreds of clawing hands latched onto her body, ripping at her hair and scratching her face. She screamed in fear, pain and agony as whatever lived beneath the water dragged her down to join them.

***

I was born into this world, but I wouldn't end here. My mother, Hera, told me of the other worlds when I was young, when I was her only child. But after my brother, Narcissus was born, he was time consuming and I barely saw her again. Even though she gave him anything and everything, he never loved her, not even as a child, he only loved himself.

She had told me about the world without magic, inhabited by animals and creatures who call themselves "Humans" or "Craft Mages" as my people call them. They are fairly ordinary creatures, but have a skill for creating things with their own hands and tools, no magic is possible. It is rumoured that they once owned inner power, but a mighty ruler had split their souls in two because he feared how strong they would become. I wouldn't know though, I had never seen another world. People find me strange because of the fact that I want to see one, two, or maybe even more. They don't understand, they think our world is perfect, and it is, but perfection is boring.

I am Hemera of Enotita, eldest daughter of Hera, born under the full moon and seventeen years of age. My family is highly respected and part of the Basileion, a circle of families who make the important decisions for our Kingdom, Tharseo.

This is my story.

***

The breeze tickled my face, brushed through my hair and wafted the sweet scent of roses all around me. I slowly swung back and forth on the wooden seat that hung off of a large oak tree by vines. The damp soil squished between my toes as I brought myself to a stop, the dark corner of my garden coming to my attention. In the corner there was an opening that led to a precious and sacred forest. My parents had told me to explore if had any interest, but to remember to respect it, it was home to the forest god.

The trees and branches twisted and arched to form a sort of gateway, my father says they grew like that and there was no magic involved.

My dress trailed behind me, dragging against the leaves.

The forest was truly beautiful, yet it was still and unmoving, like it was frozen in time. The light breeze that I had just witnessed was no longer around me.

But what I saw is what was most intriguing.

Two immaculate creatures fluttered past me, like birds, but smaller and more delicate. I had never seen such things before, nothing as wonderful as these small insect like creatures.

They had two identical wings, so bright and colourful. The patterns were amazing.

I was speechless.

They danced with each other, floating and turning, dipping and diving. All of what they were doing flowed in such a natural way, it was like art.

I reached out, unsure of what would happen, but too amazed to think or care. As they fluttered closer my heart started to beat faster and then they landed on the tips of my fingers. The two creatures explored across my hand and up my arm before they floated away and out of sight.

Although it was a short meeting, I already felt a strange connection.

I could only dream, of meeting them again.