5 | Runaways

CHAPTER FIVE.
RUNAWAYS

Mystic Falls, 1864

Mystic Falls, 1864

"I KNOW YOUR SECRET." The woman said, the first words out of her mouth since meeting with Rose.

It took Rosamie a second to answer, "I don't know what you mean."

"I am not completely oblivious, as it seems Stefan and your family are. You do not keep the secret very well hidden." She said bluntly, "you have to do something before someone else does." Without the witch elaborating on what she meant, Rose already knew who she was talking about.

"Thank you." Rose said, staring glassy-eyed at the cotton sheets she lay in, "for the other thing anyway." The witch had been ordered by her mother and she had confirmed what Rosamie already knew — that she was pregnant.

Before exiting the large bedroom, Pearl turned around to stare Rose directly in the eye, "remember who I work for Rosamie." She said menacingly and closed the door behind her.

=

Rose stares down at Damon's peaceful face resting on the multitude of skirts covering her lap and sighed as her stomach churned with the thought of the task at hand.

The sun shone through the gaps in the tall trees, illuminating the pair resting on the grassy field, their only cares being each other.

He opened one crystal eye curiously and studied Rose's frowning face. He wrapped his warm hand around her own, "what are you thinking, Rosie?", he queried whilst lazily rubbing her hand with his thumb.

"Would you be completely put off if I said I wanted to run away?" She smiled at the ridiculousness of her own statement.

However, Damon's reply held only seriousness, "I thought that you would never ask." He continued at her look on incredulity, "why can't we? What's holding us back."

"I'm pregnant." She stated, causing Damon to quickly sit up, "it's yours. I would never with Stefan." She continued, examining his face for a reaction.

After a moment he looked at her with a sincere smile, "This is our chance. We can leave, tonight. We can start a family of our own somewhere far away." He promised, clasping her two hands in between his.

"Do you really want to do this?" She questioned. A million thoughts whizzed through her mind.

"This is all I want to do." Damon said with a finality and desire that filled Rosamie with a hope that made her long for a life that she would actually be able to enjoy. "Rosamie Quiray, will you marry me?" He asked, pulling a simple diamond ring from his waistcoat.

She nodded happily a wide grin spreading across her face, gleeful tears threatened to spill from her eyes. Her stomach erupted in a pool of butterflies and her entire being felt like it might explode with joy, "yes." She said, laughing as Damon slid the ring onto the finger that Stefan's had once been.

The couple leaned forward and kissed passionately as the sun continued to shine happily on their love.