Chapter six: Stupid decisions

Depuis le début

****
I woke up early only to see Newt standing in front of my hammock, calling for me to wake up. My fluttered eyes open, and saw the tall blond with a smile on his face.
"Hey, sorry to wake you up." He said in a hushed voice. His hair was messy. He had probably just been woken up and sent to wake me up too. I couldn't help but stare at him, my heart fluttering with every single second that went by, even if we weren't that close, it still did.
"Hi, no it's fine." I said as I broke my own awkward stare.
"Alby said to come and wake you. He wants to talk with both of us."
I nodded and got up. Slipping on my boots as I heard Newt walk out of the room. I walked to the door while keeping my head down, but then crashed into Newt who was about to walk into the room again. I jolted my head up to face him. There took a little while before I collected myself and saw the three inch space between us.
"I'm sorry. I, ehh, I.."
"It's fine. We should keep going. Alby is probably waiting for us." I walked past him and down the hall. I looked behind to see if he was following, and he was not.
He stood there staring into thin air, but suddenly broke out of it, following my soon after.
We walked all the way to Alby and Minho in silence, in awkward silence.
Just walk faster. Please feet, I beg you to go just a little faster, please!
I broke out of my thoughts when I see the two boys standing in front of the doors, talking.
"Hey, were are you two going?" I said.
"After that Ben got stung in the middle of the day, all the runners backed down on their job." Minho started explaining.
"So I have to help Minho. And we thought we could trays Bens footsteps to see how on earth he got stung in the middle of the day." Alby finished of got Minho.
"Oh." I simply said.
Alby took a deep breath,
"(y/n). Newt. I need you guys to take care of the others for as long as I'm out in the maze and if I don't-"
"Don't say it like that." I interrupted Alby.
"Like what?"
"Like if it's your last time here and you want to make sure that we will take care of the others because you're gone."
"Okay then, you're gonna take care of them until I come back. Newt, you're  gonna be first in charge, and (y/n), you'll be second in command. Got it?"
Both of us nodded. The doors opened and just as the two boys were about to run I interrupted them.
"Hey Alby."
Alby stopped and looked at me.
"Be careful, and come back safe. Both of you."
Alby nodded with a a smile, and just like that, they were gone.
I huffed a sigh, knowing that it was going to be a long day ahead of us.
"How are you gonna handle all, this?" I said, pointing with my index finger in circles above my head, referring to the Glade and the Gladers.
"I honestly don't know." He said with a light chuckle. He started walking away, and his limp cane to view.
"Hey, I was wondering about-"
I stopped, thinking about if it really was a great idea to ask him. To ask him how he got that limp. And besides, I didn't think it was a really great timing either.
"About what, (y/n)?"
"No nothing forget about it."
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah, I'm sure." No I wasn't sure. The curiosity was eating on me like, and I was dying to know why he had that limp.
"Well we better get going now."
Whatever (y/n). Forget about it for now.
"Are you coming or not?" Newt said. I nodded and picked up my pace with him.
I have a feeling this is going to be a long day.

****
Zart had asked me to help them in the gardens today, since all the runners had volunteered to work for the builders. I wasn't happy to work in the gardens at all. First of all it was extremely hot and warm to work there so I had to wear a tank top, which meant that everyone was going to stare. And it also meant that I was going to work with Newt, not that I had anything against him, it's just awkward after what happened earlier today. God, it's always awkward with him.
Happily, I was going to work with some plants far away, while Newt, Zart and Thomas were going to chop down a little part of a tree thing. When I'm finished working I walked all the way to Zart, wanting to know if there anything else to do. Just as I approached them I hear Thomas asking tons of questions to Newt, I could see him getting frustrated.
"Why did Alby run into the maze? I mean he's not a runner."
"Seriously. Do you ever stop asking questions?" I said sarcastically.
The boys turned their heads towards me. I heard Newt lightly laugh and Zart let out a big chuckle.
"No, I don't think he ever does." Zart answered.
We all laughed. I saw Chuck sitting next to Thomas, he was working on a piece of wood. He usually did that when there was nothing for him to do. He was to young for such stuff as building, running, etc.
"I've done my part. Anything else I can do?" I asked Zart.
"We could use another a pair of hands here, but that's all."
No. Anything but here.
Sadly there was no other place to work, and I was not going to cook anything with Fry. Not after that I almost burnt his kitchen down.
"I guess I'm stuck with you shanks." I faked a smile.

We worked for a couple of hours before the sky turned grey and it started raining. Everyone had went under the roof where all the hammocks hung, except mine of course. I was standing besides Newt. He was staring at the doors. I knew that he was thinking the same thing as me. If our friends would make it back, if anything would or had happened to them. I looked at him for a while. I could see that he had something on his face, something no one else here had. Hope. He had hope, he believed in his friends and so did I.
"They should be back by now." Thomas said in a concern voice.
"What happens if the don't make it?"
"They're gonna make it." Newt answered.
"What happens if they don't?"
"They're gonna make it." Newt repeated.
I stared at Newt for a little longer without saying anything.
"How long are you going to bloody stare at me like that? Better question, why are you staring at me in the first place?" He asked.
"It's just that, you have this look on your face. It kind of surprises me."
"And what kind of look is that exactly?" He asked while turning his head, looking at me. Our faces were now inches away from each other, just like before.
"Hope." I said.
"And that surprises you?"
"Yeah, it does."
He looked away, smiling. Like he was surprised of what I'd said.
"What?"
"No it's just that I'm not used to hear that." He answered.
"Well, you just heard it from me, so get used to it." I said smiling, and looking back at the doors.

Time flew by fast and it had stopped raining. Everyone were now standing in front of the maze doors, waiting for Minho and Alby.
I was standing beside Thomas, and behind Gally, looking in to the long maze hall, worried.
"Can't we send someone after them?" Thomas asked.
"No. It's against the rules. It's they'll make it back or they don't." Gally answers.
He and his rules.
"Can't risk losing anyone else." Newt chimed in.
Everyone looked at the hall in both excitement and worry. The doors started to make noises, meaning that they were going to close soon.
"There." Thomas said, pointing at a figure walking, more like dragging something.
It was Minho, he was dragging Alby's unconscious body.
"Wait something's not right."
And just when we thought nothing could get worse, the doors started closing.
"COME ON MINHO! YOU CAN DO IT!" Chuck shouted at top of his lungs.
Everyone started to scream Minho's name, for him to make it to the other side.
But then Thomas did something stupid.
He ran into the maze just as the doors were closing. He made it to the other side, just as the doors closed, while all of us stood in utter shock over what just happened.
"It really most be something wrong with that kid." I heard Frypan say.
"Yeah. You don't say so." I mumbled, starting to walk away. I felt tears in my eyes and I couldn't risk any of the boys to see me cry. I wasn't going to show how weak I was.
I've just lost two of my closest friends, and that stupid kid Thomas. God what did I do to end up in such a horrible place?
"Wait, (y/n)!" I heard someone shout after me.
I looked around only to see Chuck running after me. I stopped and looked at him.
"Do you think they're gonna make it?" He said in a hopeful voice.
"I just need to be sure. I have to believe it, so that it may happen if I do."
No. I don think they will survive, but I couldn't say that to Chuck. He was just a kid.
"Of course they will make it. That's Minho your talking about. He will find a way to survive, he always does." I lied.
Chuck nodded and walked off. I couldn't stand to be there anymore, so I walked away to my room.
I just wanted this all to be a horrible nightmare, that's all. I just wanted to go to sleep, only to wake up and find Minho, Alby and Thomas, alive. But I guess there was only hope left.
Hope for my friends to be alive and come back. Hope for them to make it trough the night. Hope, for them to be in one piece.
Hope. What a dangerous word.