Chapter 21

Songs: DNA by Little Mix, Kiss Me by Ed Sheeran

Chapter 21

After another hour of celebrating, America and I said goodbye to everyone and left in a limo to the airport. From there we were going to France, where we would have our honeymoon. America was positively ecstatic. She'd begged me to go and I said yes, knowing how happy it would make her. My family also happened to own a vacation house there so that was perfect.

The only drawback was who also was in France. Daphne. She'd probably been my best friend up until right before the Selection. She was France's princess, so she couldn't enter the Selection. On my nineteenth birthday, Daphne had told me she loved me. I didn't love her back and she told me she never wanted to see me again. Of course, I'd neglected to tell America this. And now, Daphne's parents insisted that we stay at their palace for a day or two before returning to Illéa. We couldn't turn them down or it might cost us our alliance with the French.

I pushed back the thoughts of Daphne as we pulled up to the airport. Tonight was America and I's night. I wouldn't let Daphne ruin it.

As soon as the limo stopped, America rushed out into the evening air. I smiled at her enthusiasm as I followed her. By the time I'd gotten out, she'd already grabbed her bags from the trunk and was headed towards the jet. She looked back to me. "Come on, slowpoke! We have places to be!" America teased.

"I'll take as long as I'd like, thank you very much," I countered. She groaned and boarded the plane without me. I shook my head and grabbed my suitcases. Not wanting to take too long, I jogged lightly to the plane and headed inside.

America was already seated, watching me struggle to get my bags through the doorway. She smirked and I asked, "A little help?"

She tilted her head, as if she was weighing her options. "No," she said slowly. "I think you've got it."

I scowled and managed to pull them inside. I packed them into a compartment above our seats and plopped down into a seat beside America. She continued to smirk at me. I sighed. "You are absolutely no help."

She giggled. "You love me anyways."

"Yes, I do." I leaned in, placing a slow kiss against her mouth. America smiled against my lips until I pulled away. I reached down to the floor where there was a folded blanket sitting. I picked it up, draping it over us. "Get some rest, darling. We have a long flight."

We were flying on a private, high-priority jet which went about 780 miles per hour. At that rate, the flight was just under eight hours. "Okay. Are you going to sleep, Maxon?"

I nodded and she buckled her seat belt. I did the same. We took off in about ten minutes. America held on tightly to my arm during takeoff and only relaxed when we reached cruising altitude.

The seatbelt sign turned off, signaling that we were free to move around the jet. We both undid the buckle, needing to be able to stretch out. America put the armrests up so we were basically sitting on a couch. She laid down, resting her head on my leg. I smiled down at her as she fell asleep. Eventually, I did too.

.

.

.

We both woke up when there was a little over an hour left in the flight. As we sat in silence, I felt a strange feeling curling in my stomach. It was kind of familiar, but I couldn't put a name on it. All I knew was that whenever I looked at America it got ten times stronger. I think she felt it too because when ever I met her eyes, she would blush and look away. My gaze drifted quite a bit to her as well. I'd always thought she was beautiful, but right then even the way she tapped her fingers against the seat was ridiculously attractive. This new feeling was strange but I kind of liked it. On the other hand, the thought of America knowing I was feeling this way sent a wave of embarrassment through me.