Chapter 38

hello i can't stop watching the greatest showman or listening to the soundtrack oh my GOD i can't believe how much i still love zac efron.

i've said this already but hey if y'all like my writing then check out my story "Breakthrough"!!! it's not a fan fiction, i'm aware, but it's one of my favorite things i've written.

also i'm in the mood to write some Luke Hemmings fics bc i love my boy so much and i've been shoved up his ass extra lately ever since they began releasing music wowie

vote & comment! [also vote & comment on "Breakthrough" if you read it, which i hope you do hehehehe]

_______________________________________________________________

Chapter 38

City Girl's POV:

"I wish you could come with me," I found myself saying for the dozenth time today, sighing as I turned my head to see Harry propped up against the headboard, offering me an encouraging smile.

"You can do this, love," he assured, shifting forward to sit next to me, feet touching the hardwood floor of the guestroom in Xavier and Gina's house. "I'll be right here when you get back—we all will. Remember that."

His words were accompanied by his left hand lacing with my right, feeling the metal of his cool rings against my warm skin, enough to send a mild shiver up my arm. The two of us were at my brother's house, the weekend after we made up after that ugly fight that still made my throat tighten when I thought about it. After Harry and I had gotten past that dispute, making up with lots of head spinning kisses and toe curling sex, I had decided that it was time for me to put all my demons to rest and sit down with my father.

Harry and my fight had been settled. Now it was time to confront the ultimate source of it.

So Harry, being the amazing guy he is, joined me in coming to New Jersey for the weekend so I could go to the prison and talk to my father, and my family was more than happy and willing to accomodate us. The guest room I normally stayed in by myself now had Harry in it too, and the knowledge of him being here after everything was said and done put me slightly at ease. Somewhat.

"I'm just—" I paused with a sigh, rolling my lips into my mouth before admitting, "I'm scared. I've spent so long being mad at him. . . I don't know how to be anything else but that."

"You forgive," Harry said softly, his lips tugging into the same encouraging smile that hinted at the dimples in his cheeks, squeezing my hand. "And then you go from there. Baby steps, sweetheart."

I let out another deep breath, nodding as I took in his words before leaning forward and pressing my lips to his. He returned the soft kiss and I took a breath before pulling away, smiling at him as I murmured a thanks before standing up, ready to go.

Going down the stairs, I saw Xavier and my mother in the living room, with Gina being out of the house because she had taken Felicity to a playdate. Upon her gaze landing on me, Mama immediately stood up from the couch and made her way towards me, a prideful smile on her face as she pulled me into a hug. "I'm proud of you, baby," she whispered, squeezing me as the pleasant and familiar scent of my mother enveloped me comfortably.

Xavier gave me a hug too, and you would think I was being sent off to war or something the way my family and Harry were reacting, but I couldn't bring myself to care. To me, it was a big deal; I was finally agreeing to having a conversation with my father after eight years of avoiding him, to face him and clear the air and maybe, hopefully, let go of the anger and heartbreak that had been a heavy cloud over my head for so long.