Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Prince's POV:

While Vera was busy at work as they prepared to say goodbye to their old boss and welcome her as their new one, most of my days were spent well with Niall and Louis. The lads were in New York for a few more days, so we enjoyed our time together while it lasted. Though we had to make sure my identity remained a secret, it didn't stop us from venturing out into the city, with Dave coming along with us, of course. We went to the cinema, the lads joined me on my morning run in Central Park, and they for some reason wanted to go to the top of the Empire State Building, so we even did that. It was mildly surprising that I hadn't been made up there, since there was limited space and lots of people were present, but I considered myself lucky.

The guys even did some shopping, buying gifts for their families from either those touristy shops all over Manhattan or going to the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle to shop at the upscale shops. I wouldn't be surprised if they needed to get an extra suitcase to stuff the things they had purchased. The guest room was full of their shopping bags, filled to the brim of stuff they bought for themselves and their families.

Being here, in the city, gave me a new sense of freedom that I hadn't experienced before. I was able to roam around with my mates without getting recognized—so far—and I was having the time of my life. Putting on a hat and wearing sunglasses to shield my identity was the smallest of prices to pay, because I didn't mind them at all. Here in New York, there so many people wandering the streets, minding their own business and not focusing on others that nobody realized I was walking amongst them, which came as a sort of blessing to me. Back home, no matter where I would go, I would easily be spotted; sometimes people would crowd around to catch a glimpse and sometimes people were used to seeing the Prince of England wandering around his city. Although I didn't mind people coming up to say hi to me, I sometimes preferred the latter.

Walking around a big city without anyone having a clue I was around? Absolutely liberating.

"So what're you gonna do when Neil and I head back home?" Louis questioned as he sat down on the couch with a bottle of beer, ignoring the annoyed look Niall cast his way at Louis' use of purposeful mispronunciation of his name.

I shrugged, sitting on the other couch next to Niall as he flipped through different channels on the telly. "Dunno," I responded truthfully, honestly having no idea. Before they came to visit, I would just stay in the flat all day if I hadn't gone out for a run or to get groceries, or even accompany Dave to get food when he told me it'd be better if he just brought it for me or if I called for delivery. If I wasn't doing any of that, I was spending time with Vera in either my flat or hers. It was a simple life, really.

"You should get a pet to keep you company," Niall piped up, seemingly settling on watching a football game—which, here, was called soccer. Shooting me a smile, he added, "Like a dog or somethin'."

Louis snorted after taking a sip of his drink. "Come off it, Niall—the prince here isn't capable of takin' care of a dog," he claimed, the teasing tone clear in his voice.

An affronted expression crossed my face, staring at my friend with my lips parted and brows drawn as Louis snickered, finding himself utterly amusing. Shooting him a narrow eyed look, I defended, "Of course I can take care of a dog, Louis. I'm not an idiot."

The shit-eating grin never faded from his face as he quirked a brow. "When's the last time you had to take care of something yourself, your Royal Highness?"

Taking the couch cushion behind my back, I tossed it at Louis, not caring he had a beverage in his hand since he deflected it with his free arm. "I'm not incapable!" I defended, my stubborn tone prompting Niall to let out a laugh.