Cold Hands, Warm Heart

Chris' POV:

Determined to wash away the physical and emotional stains left by the confrontation with those violent men, I retreated to the bathroom for a much-needed shower, leaving Jake to his sandwich and drink. The hot water cascaded over me, cleansing me of the dirt and blood that had tainted my body.

After about ten minutes, I decided it was time to rejoin Jake in the living room. I wrapped a towel around my waist, intending to greet him and continue our conversation. However, as I opened the bathroom door, my heart nearly leaped out of my chest when I saw him sitting there, surrounded by the shattered remnants of the plate and glass he had dropped in surprise.

His grip on my shoulder was like ice, making me shiver involuntarily. I shifted away, desperate to escape the chilling sensation that had enveloped me. Our eyes locked in an unnerving and intimate gaze, causing a strange tension to hang between us.

"What?" I stammered, feeling an unease that seemed to intensify by the second.

"I have something to tell you," Jake replied, his tone brimming with seriousness. He reached for my hand, but I instinctively pulled away, noticing the icy temperature of his touch.

"Your hands are so cold. Are you feeling unwell?" I inquired, concerned by his physical state.

"Um, I'm a vampire, Chris," he revealed, the words hanging in the air like a heavy secret.

The moment those words left his lips, my mind couldn't process the implications fast enough.

Without thinking, I bolted from the room, my towel-clad body racing down the hallway, into the elevator, and out of the building. Only then did I realize that I was practically naked, and the people on the street cast puzzled and bewildered glances my way.

Jake's voice emerged from the commotion, and I turned to see him approaching.

"Sorry for scaring you," he said, but I couldn't fathom any explanation that would make me feel safe.

"Stay away from me!" I yelled, bypassing the elevator and making my way down the stairs. I needed to distance myself from this monstrous revelation.

Each step I descended was a reminder of the fear coursing through me. The pain in my foot and the bruises on my body seemed to pale in comparison to the terror that had gripped my heart.I reached the lower floors, racing down the steps, and as I descended past the seventh floor, a sudden gust of wind threatened to yank my towel away, leaving me exposed and vulnerable.I looked up, and there were Jake's boots. He was fast, incredibly fast, and there was no denying his supernatural nature.

"What do you want!?" I shouted, my voice laced with fear and desperation. "Do you want my blood? My heart? My liver? My flesh? Tell me what you want!" My voice cracked, and tears streamed down my face, my fear and dread consuming me.

Tears, so foreign to me as a man, now betrayed the depths of my terror. I was afraid of death, terrified of being devoured, and haunted by the prospect of becoming a feast.

"I don't want any of those, Chris. I just want to be your friend," Jake replied, his tone earnest.My only response was continued sobbing.

"Sorry for scaring you," he ventured closer, and I retreated a few steps, maintaining a safe distance between us.

"I told you the truth because I genuinely want to be your friend," he continued, his words tinged with sincerity. "I've never been so close to a human before. You'd be the first."

"But you're a killer. I can't trust you," I retorted.

"I'm not a killer, Chris. I do what I need to survive, but if you want, I can change, just to be your friend."

"Are you serious about this? Or is this some kind of trick? Are you planning to befriend me, lure me to your lair, and have your friends come over to devour me?" I responded, my voice trembling with uncertainty. "I don't trust you."

Silence hung in the air, as I awaited his response. Eventually, I made a decision, my fear still overriding my curiosity. Without another word, I walked past him.