Chapter five: The Changing

Magsimula sa umpisa

****
The boys had made a big fire again. Seemed like they celebrate whenever a greenie came up in the box. I was sitting with Minho, talking about random stuff, I was explaining what the new kid did and how I had to be with him the whole day because of that. I looked in his direction, he was sitting with a dirty blonde haired kid that I knew all to well, Newt. They were talking to each other, but I was to far away to hear what they were saying. It reminded me of my first day in the glade and how lost I was.
I saw Newt offering a glass of the klunk Gally makes. The brunette took a sip, then he spited it out.
Poor kid.
Minho giggled. Seemed like he was watching them too. His brown eyes meet with mine for a mere moment, before looking up and staring at the maze walls.
"You know, we haven't talked that much to each other......for a long time." He said.
"Yeah. It's probably because you're a runner and I'm to busy helping Alby with keeping these shanks alive." I said with a giggle.
"I have to say, you're pretty good at your job. And it has to be pretty damn hard to be a girl around us boys. But, you're lucky, you came with the pretty ones."
He pointed at himself as a smile creeped it's way to his lips. I laughed at his cocky attitude, just the same as the first time I met him.
I looked back at the two boys only to see that they were now gone. Looking around, trying to find them, my eyes landed on Newt, he was pointing at people here and there.
He's introducing him to the others.
The boys stopped for a while so I decide it's the best time to introduce myself to the greenie. Just as I'm was approaching them, the brunette got pushed into the circle where the boys usually fought or wrestled. It's boys we're talking about, so you couldn't be surprised.
"Huh? What do you say greenie, want to see what you're made of?" Gally said.
No. Not Gally. He's gonna kill the new kid.
Clint, the keepers of the med-jack, started cheering for the greenie. Then everyone started to walk towards the circle, chiming in on shouting 'greenie'. The new kid stayed in the circle
Stupid kid. He's gonna die now.
"Gally." I said, looking at him.
I felt everyone's eyes on me. I looked at the brunette, not taking my eyes off of him.
"Take it easy on him."
Minho smirked at my command. He knew way to well that the new kid was going to  end up with the med-jacks after the fight.
"Alright. The rules are simple greenie. I try to push you out of the circle, you'll try to last for more than five seconds."
Everyone laughed and so did I. Gally ran towards the brunette and pushed him hard. The greenie got caught by some guys, and pushed back into the circle. With a swift and quick move, Gally  pushed him onto the sandy ground. The boy slowly stood up, and Gally said something else, but I don't pay attention to that.
"Stop calling me greenie." The brunette boy said.
Oh.
"Stop calling you that? What do want to be called? Shank?"
Everyone laughed.
"Yeah, you seem like a shank."
The boy attacked Gally, but failed once more.
"I think I'm settled on shank."
The anger was as clear as day on the greenies face. He went for another attempt in attacking Gally, but to my surprise, he succeeded and pushed Gally to the ground. Minho and I exchanged a look, surprised by what the boy just did.
I looked Gally into the eyes. He was furious, but just as the greenie stood up, Gally swung his feet under the greenies, making him fall and hit his head hard. The boy mumbled something to himself. His eyes widened as he jumped up and frantically turned in circles.
"Thomas. Hey Thomas! I remember my name! I'm Thomas!" He shouted.
I smiled.
Well Gally helped him in some ways at least.
Everything walent quite for a moment.
"THOMAS!" Alby yelled at top of his lungs, pointing at the boy.
Everyone gathered around him saying and screaming things to the boy named Thomas. Everyone were happy for a moment before a scream beyond horrifying, echoed through the whole glade. It was something in the maze, and that something, was a Griever.
"What the hell was that." Thomas mumbled.
"That my friend, was a griever. Don't worry, you're safe here with us. Nothing get trough those walls." Gally said. Eyeing the boy.
I could hear a hint of pain in his voice, but like always, I ignored it.

****
It was morning now and we were eating breakfast, like always. I got my food, and looked around. My eyes landed on the new kid, Thomas. He was sitting all alone, his head hanging low as he ate his breakfast. I thought I would go and sit with him, at least get another new friend. I approached his table, planting my food on the table and sitting directly in front of him.
"Hey." I said, smiling.
"Hi." He said in a flat voice. I was take aback for a moment.
"What? You don't like me? Because I can go if you don't."
"No no, it's just-I-you."
He huffed a sigh.
"Newt said that I wasn't allowed to talk to you or anything so I don't think I should be doing that. Oh, there's that rule about you, so."
I almost choked on my water.
Newt really said that? Well, he most have mistaken Thomas for Minho. Or did he have other intentions? Oh shake it of (y/n), just forget about it.
"Don't take him serious. He's always like that. You're allowed to talk to me, just not, hit on me." I said in a serious tone.
He laughed.
It was funny how he went from freaking out to laughing.
"I'm (y/n) by the way." I smiled at him.
"Thomas." He said while nodding at me.
The rest of the breakfast we eat in silence. It wasn't awkward, but it still didn't feel comfortable either.
He finished eating before me and said his goodbye. I finished eating as well and got to work immediately.
It wasn't so much to do, so I was helping Gally and the builders today. It seemed like Gally had dropped all the
'I'm gay and I like Fry' thing. It was like he had forgot all about it.
"(y/n)."
I broke out of my daze as I heard Gally calling my name.
"Hm?"
"Newt wanted to talk to you. He's in the gardens." He said before walking away.
I made my way through the gardens, my eyes searching for the British boy. My eyes found their way to the dirty blonde haired boy, standing there and working on his tomato plants. He was standing in a top, which revealed his muscular arms. I'm not gonna lie, but he had a great build body, just saying.
Wait, what am I thinking of. He is pretty and all , but never ever would he like me so get that thought out of your brain.
"It isn't nice to stare you know." He said as a smiled creeped on his face.
I felt my cheeks go red. He smiled while holding onto a shovel, I'm not sure if it was a shovel, but it sure looked like on.
"I wasn't staring. I was looking at the plants." I said.
"Beautiful aren't they? I grew them myself." He had a childish smile on his face.
"Anyway, I wanted to ask if you could-"
Just as he was about to finish his sentence, a scream echoed through the Glade. Both of us tried to find were it came from. Then I saw it. Thomas was running out of the woods with Ben chasing him. Ben didn't look well to be exact. He looked angry and frustrated, which wasn't good.
"HEY! HEY! HELP! HELP ME!" Thomas screamed.
I took the shovel Newt was holding and ran to his aid. Ben caught up with Thomas before I could, he tackled him to the ground, trying to hurt him. I swung the shovel and hit Ben in the head. He didn't pass out, he just laid there, and screamed in a agonizing way.
What is he doing? Why was Ben like this? Did Thomas do something?
"Hold him! Hold him down!" Newt shouted.
I tried to hold him down, but he fought back. He got a grip on my left arm, and squeezed his fingernails in it. I pulled my hand back as fast as I could, but there was already blood coming out.
Hopefully no one saw that.
Gally, Newt and Frypan pinned him to the ground. My heart beated fast, and I was so confused over the scene that just took place infront of me.
"What the hell happened?" Fry asked.
"He just attacked me!" Thomas answered, standing up.
Ben calmed down, but then Alby showed up and he started to mumble things.
"No, no, no, no, NO!" He screamed as if he knew what was going to happened.
"Lift his shirt! LIFT HIS SHIRT!" Alby commanded.
Gally lifted up his shirt and revealed Ben' bare stomach. There was blue and purple veins coming out from a round open wound. The wound was deep, but he wasn't bleeding, yet it looked like it hurt like hell.
What the shuck happened to him?