Eight

Your dreams are a confusing wash of colour and sound. Your head feels like it's been used as a drum and whenever you open your mouth to scream, it hurts as if a hundred nails are being raked along the inside of your throat. People are yelling at you, but you can't pick up what they're saying.

"Y/N? Y/N?"

Your jaw is locked in an open position, and you have the sinking feeling that if you try to close your mouth it'll snap your jaw clean off. When you try to struggle, it's as if you're tied down with invisible ropes.

"Y/N!"

With a jolt you're pulled into the waking world. Your face is buried in Basil's neck, an arm and leg flung over his body haphazardly. He's jogging his leg up and down impatiently.

"Y/N? Are you awake?"

You mumble something that vaguely resembles, "I think so?" You push yourself up, looking down into Basil's face. He blushes a little, avoiding your gaze.

"Sorry for waking you up, I gotta pee."

"Oh! Sorry." You roll off him. He scrambles from the bed and slips out the door. You sigh and let your limbs relax. You can still feel a dull sense of fear and confusion from your dreams, but can't remember exactly what was in them. Your stomach feels as if someone's placed several bricks inside it, and your head throbs uncomfortably.

Basil slips back into the room.

"I feel like shit," you announce.

"You look like shit," Basil confirms. "I'll tell Simon you're sick."

"No, no, don't do that. I'm fine, I'll be fine soon."

"Rubbish. You're sick and you're going nowhere near Simon and the other instructors. You'll stay here and sleep. I'll bring you food."

"I'm not sick! I'm fine!" You sit up and attempt to stand to prove your point. After a few steps toward the door, you're hit with an overwhelming dizziness and stumble. Basil catches you, and guides you back to the bed.

"You're sick."

You stick your tongue out at him.

Basil sticks his tongue out back, and marches to the door. He turns, winks and happily smiles, "love you!" like he's your mother. Then he's gone, and you're left flustered and confused in the bed.