.10

It took everything in me not to break every bone in those guys bodies once I saw them sitting at Max and I's table, laughing and mocking us. I've sat at the same exact table for every meal since I got here however long ago. I've lost track of the time that I've been here. Everything before Max is just a blurred mess. I know what my life was like before prison but everything here just blends together. I was barely getting by before Max and I don't know how I'll survive without him. 

Seven months into Max's sentence and I'm already afraid of what life will be like post-Max.

But back to the task at hand: three assholes taking my seat. Instead of blowing up at them, like I so wanted to, I grit my teeth and look around for another empty seat. Unfortunately, every other table is occupied by at least one lonely person. 

I groan and walk over to one of the tables that only have one person sitting currently while Max follows behind me like a lost puppy. I drop my tray down and sit, causing the table's other occupant to look up briefly before quickly reverting his eyes. He's afraid of me, good, means less talking. Max just sits quietly in the seat next to mine. 

I don't touch my food, not in the mood to eat anything. Max picks at his food silently. The other guy doesn't even have a tray in front of him. 

"You know," the guy speaks suddenly. "They're just trying to get under your skin, if you act like that then they're winning." 

"What is this is middle school?" I scoff. "They're assholes and they're lucky I don't go after them. I would if I weren't close to being transferred." 

"I've seen them do it before, they're basically just middle school bullies," he pushes on. "They did it to Calvin before you, Niall before that, tried Jack but failed, and probably a bunch more before I started watching." 

I gave him a weird look "yeah I don't know who any of those are. But, listen, I don't really care. I've been here for a long time and I'll continue on here for a long time so them being assholes today doesn't matter." 

"Then why don't you ignore them?" he questions, annoying me because I rather not talk to him. 

"What do you think I'm doing? I'm not over there telling them to get up, am I?" 

"No need to get hostile, Ian," he puts his hands up and goes to speak again but I cut him off.

"Why the fuck do you know my name?"

"I know everyone's name, it's just kind of my thing," he chuckles. "But where're my manners? I haven't even introduced myself yet. The name's Joji."

"Cool," I reply with a half-hearted sigh. The buzzer rings, indicating that free time can start now. "Bye."

"See you around," he grins.

Max and I get up and walk to the library, our typical spot since it's the least populated. We go in and sit towards the back where we're somewhat secluded. 

"That was really fucking weird," Max says.

"What?" I question. "That guy?"

"Yeah," he replies. "The way he just knew shit about people like that, it's pretty creepy."

"Yeah, it is," I sigh. "I rather not think about it, he was more annoying than anything."

"Alright," Max nods. "What should we do."

I shrug and sit back, leaning back and resting my head on the wall behind me. "Just chill, I guess."

"Okay," Max nods again. Then he does something unexpected. Instead of just sitting back, he lays his head on my chest and wraps his arms around me. After a second, I wrap my arms around him as well. 

"What's this for?" I ask.

"I just need it, I guess," he shrugs. "Contact is nice." 

I plant a kiss on the top of his head and pull him closer to me, almost onto my lap. He goes all the way, shifting his legs forward and placing himself on my legs. Like a scene in a movie, he looks up and our eyes meet. It almost feels scripted the way we both start to slowly lean in before our lips touch in one explosive kiss. Our lips move in sync like they were created to do just that. My hands cup his face and his arms go around my neck as he shifts his body to straddle me. My hands instinctively move to his hips and held him close. At that moment we forget where we are and what we've done to get here. Our only thoughts are each other. 

When we pull away, we're breathless and blushing. I peck his lips one last time. 

"Did we really just do that?" he says with a smile.

"I think we did," I smile back.