.05

The morning bell went off before I was awake for the first time in months. I felt a weight shift off of my chest, which confused me because I didn't know what it was, but upon open my eyes all I saw was a messy head of brown hair.

I watch as Max climbs over me and down from the bunk like in not even present. He stretches, making his shirt go up and showing a little bit of skin. I can't help but to stare at him.

But before he notices, I get up from bed and go to the door. I hear his footsteps as he follows behind me and just like that we walk to breakfast.

Breakfast is underwhelming, as to be expected. It was just poorly made eggs, burnt toast, and a glass of suspiciously yellow orange juice.

Max and I took our normal seats without words spoken to one another. I start to eat before Max does, taking a brave bite of the eggs.

"So," Max says while pushing the food around mindlessly with his fork.

"So?" I question him.

"Thanks for last night," he finally looks up at me, gemstone eyes meeting mine.

"Don't mention it," I tell him. "Really don't, but it was no problem, just don't bring it up here."

Max just nodded and finally began eating.

We stayed quiet and eating for a while. I notice chatter start to pick up but don't pay much mind to it, knowing that this place can sometimes get more than loud. I glance at Max occasionally, just watching his calm movements.

But all the calmness is interrupted when Max gets a face full of someone else's food, followed by a drink dumped on his head. People all around laugh but the look on Max's face just shows pure misery and embarrassment.

Something comes over me and I'm on my feet. Within seconds I have the person the dumped the drink in my grasp, he still had the empty cup in his hands and a smug look on his face while I gripped the front of his shirt. That changed when I banged his head into the table and held him down.

"Get the hell off," he said.

"You wanted to start something, didn't you?" I spat at him. "Nobody just does that shit for the fun of it. You wanted to make him look stupid, make him look weak because he'll try to fight back and you think you're stronger, right? Well guess what. You started the wrong fight."

"Like you could actually do anything," he tried to intimidate me but I was too pissed to feel anything other than anger.

So instead of giving him another vocal exchange, I just punched him square in the jaw. I hit him over and over again until my head were red with blood from his nose that I had most likely broken. Someone tried to pull me off of him but my first reaction was to hit them too. I hit them hard enough to where they just fell with a dull thud to the ground. Multiple sets of hands were around my arms, pulling me back so I couldn't fight anymore.

I was pulled away and the scene I saw sent me back into reality with more force than falling from a tall building. The guy that I attacked initially was bloody and just sitting there dazed. The second person I hit was picking himself off the floor, a bloody mark in the shape of my hand stained his uniform. A sharp pang of guilt hit me as I realized that person was a guard, and in fact he was my guard friend Ryan. And then I saw Max. He looked horrified and that alone was enough to break me.

<m>

I had to stay in solitary confinement for an entire week. For that whole week I was alone. For that whole week I couldn't apologize to Ryan. For that whole week I couldn't explain myself to Max. For that whole week did nothing but hate myself.

The door opened slowly on the last day and I was let back out into the general prison population just into for our free hour. I launched right into finding Max.

I found him sitting in the mostly empty library. He sat against a shelf, book held firmly between his pale hands, eyes glued to the page.

I took a seat next to him, causing him to jump before gasping and tightly wrapping his arms around me. It wasn't the reaction I was expecting but it is one that I welcome.

"I missed you," he says into my shoulder.

"I missed you too," I smile.

"Don't leave me again, please," he begged.

"I wouldn't dream of it," I tell him.