Chapter Two

With Mourning Brings Anger

Dreams came very few and far between to your numb mind, for very rarely did you feel anything before bed beside anger, sadness, or nothing at all. But all that anger must manifest in some way. Every few weeks, you will have a nightmare about that horrid day. The day you lost your father.

You stood somewhere dark, still in your clothes from the day before. Shadows move in familiar ways through your limited vision. Outlines of busy people walking the streets, talking with friends, on the phone, carrying grocery bags, hushing bratty children. The scene was so unfamiliar and strange. But despite the noise, you could hear one voice. A voice you know all too well.

"Ah, thank you, Marinette. I'm sure (Y/N) and(Mother's Name) will love these macarons! They have always enjoyed your treats."

You stared in horror as your dad walks out of the Tom & Sabine Boulangerie Patisserie, a box of freshly baked (Flavour) macarons in hand. You tried to scream, to warn him of what was coming. But your voice caught in your throat, and you only choked. Tears formed in large pools at the corner of your eyes, obstructing your vision. A faint, shrill voice cried out at your father, who was crossing the street. But before the dream was finished, a loud screaming pulled you back into consciousness.

You frantically scanned the room for the source of the noise, choking on your own spit and tears. You scrambled out of bed, accidentally slamming headfirst into the wall, and rushed back to your feet. It took a solid thirty seconds before you realized the incessant screaming was your alarm clock. You let out an annoyed groan and slammed a fist on the 'OFF' button. There was a gentle crack, and the lights of the clock flickered off, causing you to facepalm. You sighed, "Not another one... That's the fourth one this month. Guess I'm going to the store after school."

All morning as you got dressed and ready, you couldn't get your mind off of that dream. The sight of your father... Being reminded of how he died. It left you somewhat broken. You worked through your usual routine with a heavy heart and a distracted mind. You couldn't think properly. It caused you to almost use your toothbrush as a hairbrush. Though you had seen the dream many times and woke up crying many times, it seemed you just couldn't move past it all.

It had taken all but thirty minutes for you to get ready, leaving you with a good hour before school begins. You dragged yourself over to the fridge, planning to get yourself a small breakfast before leaving. However, as your hand tightly gripped the handle, a new piece of paper piled amongst the rest caught your eye.

'(Y/N),

I had to leave early this morning. I won't be home for another few days. There's plenty of food and money for takeout on the counter.

-Mom'

You weren't quite sure of what happened next. The note was nothing special, nothing new. But as you read over the words, your vision went red with anger. Your body moved on its own, a hand slamming down in a fist against the door, and the other grabbing the paper off the fridge. You screamed over and over, "I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU!" and tore at the paper, ripping it to shreds.

After throwing the shreds everywhere, your hand went to the pearl around your neck. You pulled harshly at the chain and broke it, pieces of the links clattering to the floor. You raised your hand in the air and prepared to throw your pearl across the room. Angry, hot tears rolled down your face, leaving your eyes puffy and blind. However, as you brought your arm back to throw, all energy and anger drained out of you. You let out a choking sob and brought the pearl close to your chest. You collapsed to your knees and whined, more sobs shaking through you.

Hawkmoth's watchful eye has been peering over you for a long, long time. Ever since your father died, he has been waiting for his chance to akumatize you. In your sad, pathetic rage, you failed to see the black and purple butterfly land softly on your pearl. A voice suddenly echoed through your mind, intrusive thoughts forcing their way to the front.

"Hello, Cat's Eye. I am Hawkmoth. I will give you the ability to get revenge on those who have hurt you... I just need you to bring me the Miraculous of Ladybug and Cat Noir in return."