Chapter One

Waiting

Rain slowly started dripping from the sky, creating little spots on the concrete. The drips echo through an empty alleyway, filled with nothing but trash and grime. A person lay deep in the alley, sheltered from the rain by thick cardboard boxes, formed in a way to create a nice temporary home.

A pointed roof and the little hole overall was shaped somewhat like a gusher. Blankets and pillows cover the 'floor' of this little home, and a couple of lights were strung across the inside, powered by batteries. A body lay in the sea of blankets, curled up in a ball.

You shiver slightly as raindrops hit your back, which faced outward towards the cruel world. You just stare forward, lids half-open, and tears flowing steadily down your cheeks. You kept your hand curled around the pearl hanging around your neck. It was a Cat's Eye, a rare type of pearl. It was a lime green, with a distinct dark, forest green stripe down the middle, mimicking the eye of a cat, hence the name. It hung from a gold chain. Of the many photos and things you have hung in this little home, you keep your orbs locked on a picture of a man, somewhere in his late forties, with greying (H/C) hair and tired green eyes.

Your father. The man who raised you, who kept the family together, the man who gave you this pearl, ripped from you by a selfish girl and selfish wants. Thinking back to that day only makes the tears fall harder. Sobs erupt from your throat, sounds choking out of you like a dying animal. You sob, and you cry, and you wail so loud you almost don't hear your phone buzzing like mad. Still coughing and sobbing, you shakily pick up the phone.

The light shines through the dark night, illuminating your red and puffy face. You can see your reflection on the screen, and you physically recoil. Your hair was slightly messy and you looked like a pig ready to be roasted. Sighing and wiping your eyes, you scan through your phone to find the reason for all the buzzing.

3 missed calls

°Mother°

17 new messages

°Mother°

A low growl escaped you, and you unlocked your phone and began reading. Most of the messages were 'Where are you??' And 'Answer your phone!!' Variations. You pressed the call button and brought the phone close to your ear, and forced your voice to be normal. You failed miserably and sounded like a dying frog. "Hello..?" Your voice cracked as you spoke, making you cringe.

And with that, your mother's shrill voice rang from the phone, and you had to pull it away from yourself just to keep from going deaf in that ear. She sounded both angry, scared, and like she had been crying. "(Y/N) WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU!? YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN HOME HOURS AGO AND NOW IT'S PAST DARK AND RAINING! GET YOUR ASS HOME NOW."

She didn't even give you a chance to respond or explain yourself before just hanging up. You set your phone down and sigh, head hanging. Mumbling to nobody in particular, you slowly grab your bag and stand. You didn't want to be stuck in the rain for too long, so you took off running, back to your home.

The entire way there, you felt as if you were being watched. But you shook it off.

As you reached your front door, there was a silent breeze that passed by. After unlocking the door and slowly placing your hand on the knob, you hesitantly came inside. You were met with darkness, instead of an angry mother. You turned on the light switch, and the dead home was brought back.

The lights in the kitchen flickered, signaling it needed to be changed. There was a wall separating the kitchen and dining room from the living room, that was decorated with a fancy wallpaper. There was a bare, white loveseat a few yards from the wall, and a large TV hung in front of it. A couple clothes and dishes were scattered across the room, giving a homely feel to the place.

You sighed and closed the door. A chill ran down your spine, and immediately you turn up the thermometer. A low growl echoed from your stomach, and you let your body move towards the kitchen. As you reached the fridge, you noticed a note piled on top of all the papers and drawings pinned up on the doors. In neat print, it read,

'Dear, (Y/N).

I got called back to work, so I won't be back until tomorrow morning. THIS DOES NOT EXCUSE YOU. You and I WILL have a talk before you go to school tomorrow! You are in SERIOUS trouble, child!

-Mom'

You rolled your eyes and threw away the letter. She wouldn't be home. There would be no talk. She would still be at work tomorrow morning and you'd have another uneventful morning and another uneventful day. Exhaustion overcame anger and hunger, so you ignored your need to eat for a while longer. You set your school bag on the counter, deeming you'll finish your homework before school tomorrow. With sluggish form, you drag yourself into your room. Similar to the living room, it was full of clothes and a few dishes, shoes here and there, and a messy desk full of written papers and unfinished books, spilled pencils and empty pens. You really need to clean that up...

You reach up and grab the pearl around your neck. Taking the gold chain off your neck, you admired the gem. You dusted it slightly with your sleeve, then hung it on a nail on your wall, right next to your unkempt bed. You collapse into the mess of thick blankets and oversized pillows, not even bothering to change. But little did you know of the villain watching over you, waiting for you to awake, and waiting to turn you into a being of power and evil.