My heart seems to stop beating for a moment, as if it's listening to her, too.

"But he'd always known I was special. Derek and Kyle were there, sure, but they were only along for the ride. Only there to protect me, make sure I was able to do what the Dark Lord wanted me to. Voldemort gave me powers, Jennifer. He gave me special powers like nobody else's, to assist me when the time came to kill you. Ever wonder about that time in Defense Against the Dark Arts, when Snape made us pair up in front of the class to do those nonverbal spells?"

The memory flashes through my mind - yes, she's right. Snape had pitched the two us against each other to try out nonverbal spells. We were only supposed to try a stunning spell, but I knew Blu had done something else. It felt as though she'd gotten in my head, consumed all of my thoughts. And the sensation that followed - strong, agonizing, sleepy - had knocked me to the floor unconscious within a minute.

"Well," she continues, "I'd decided to try them out on you, I was so excited. But the problem is that they didn't exactly work on you as well as they would on normal witches and wizards, because you have powers of your own. So I had to brew a potion for myself, in order to make them stronger, and I needed the blood of both a young witch and a young wizard in order to complete it. Remember those two killings, the Gryffindor boy and the Ravenclaw girl?" Blu laughs, as though this is all a fun game. "That was just me, getting my ingredients."

She inhales sharply, her wand still held out in a shaky hand as she approaches me. Blu had always been so cool and collected, so cunning, and it's unnerving to see her as though she's gone completely insane.

"And now," She says, her voice a low hum as she approaches me slowly, "They'll work on you."

She taps a pale finger to my forehead, and a searing burst of pain rocks through my body. Finally, my figure unfrozen, I let out a tremendous shriek and crumple to the ground, a limp pile. Blu doesn't look the slightest bit worried - just as I do, she knows that neither of us can be heard back here.

There's no point in her freezing me up again - I am so weak and undone that I can't lift a hand. Instead, she just points her wand at me again, the tip aimed at my throat from a distance.

"Oh, don't overreact." Blu says, as if I'd only received a papercut. "I wasn't even trying."

I lie on the floor, trembling as she begins to pace around me in circles.

"I could tell, though, that Dumbledore was starting to grow suspicious of my involvement with Voldemort, so I talked to him a few times about everything. I told him I wanted to help out with the Order of the Phoenix, and he let me, because I got into his head and made him let me using my powers. I also made him tell me about the bracelet, a few days ago. Yours is a fake - I know that now, and so does Lord Voldemort. We also know that you destroyed the real one. So Voldemort met with me, and he told me to kill you, because even though his horcrux is gone, you're not. Right now, with your powers and your skill, you're the biggest weapon that the Order of the Phoenix has. And we can't have that, now, can we?"

She trails the tip of her wand down the base of my neck, grinning barbarically. A soft shiver runs up my spine.

I muster up all of the energy I have left, and let out a hoarse scream. 

The sound is so weak, and I know that there's no way anybody's going to hear me back here, but I'm desperate for a chance to get out alive. If I don't, I'd let down Draco, Professor Dumbledore, my mother -

"Shut the hell up." Blu growls, leaning down close to my ear. Drops of spittle fly onto my cheek. "No one's going to save you this time, Jen. No Draco, no Dumbledore, nobody."