Mild Amnesia // Chapter VII

Stu and Alan stood at the curb waiting for the valet to bring the car around while bickering about Alan carrying Carlos. Phil and I stood leaning against the wall and drinking coffee hung over out of our minds.

"So, uh, are you sure you're qualified to be taking care of that baby?" Stu asked as his gaze stayed on the baby with the sunglasses.

Alan scoffed, "What? I've found a baby before."

"You found a baby before?" Stu's face held a grimace when he turned back to me and turned back to Alan.

"Yeah."

"Where?"

"Coffee Bean."

"My god." Phil exhaled. "This is shitty."

I chuckled and took a sip of hot coffee. "Tell me about it, Wenneck."

"Hey," he turned towards me and started to rub my shoulder, "Don't be like that. What's wrong ?"

My mind was a mess at this point. Not knowing what to even say, I only shook my head and looked at my feet. Immediately I felt his fingers under my chin bringing my head up to look him in the eyes. "Listen, Phil..."

"It's about last night, isn't it?"

"I have no fucking clue what happened. What we did. What you and I did."

Phil broke into his signature smile and looked at the boys. His eyes were instantly back on me again. "I'm sure it was fun."

"Fun?" I crossed my arms and raised my eyebrows.

"Yes, babe." Phil's arms snaked themselves around my waist and his concentration was fully on me. "We'll go to the hospital and find some answers."

"What about this?" I raised my left hand where the black sapphire ring was on. "This is not my engagement ring. There are a few possibilities about what could have happened. Maybe I got married to some guy I met in a casino or engaged again. Curiosity is slowly eating me"

"Everything will be okay, doll. Look, we'll go to the hospital, find out how I ended up there and then we'll search for answers about your mystery ring."

"Yeah," I said, his baby blue eyes piercing into mine. I couldn't deny that calmness started to wash over me because of his reassurance. His hands on my waist finally started to radiate warmth I haven't noticed right away. I could go for it and kiss him right here, but he has a wife. And a kid. Instead I decided to enjoy the moment we have here because who knows when it will happen again.

"Hey, Phil? I don't think Doug would want us to take the Mercedes." Stu was the first to speak breaking Phil and me out of our moment.

"Which car would you like to take then, Doctor Price?" I asked annoyed.

"Relax, we'll be careful."

"Alan. We got bigger problems here." Stu warned. "Doug could be in the hospital, he could be hurt."

"Let's just worry about the car later." I said to them, looked up to the sky and took a deep breath. When I opened my eyes, I saw two guys on top of the hotel trying to move a mattress. "Hey, guys. Check it out."

Everyone in front of the hotel, including us, was looking at the mattress which had a hole in the middle caused by a statue. Phil let go of me and took a couple of steps towards a guy loading up his car. "Hey, man, what's going on here?"

"Some asshole threw his bed out the window last night."

"No shit." Phil tipped the coffee cup.

"Yeah."