5

while summer is half way around the country, letting her crumbling relationship simmer over the winter, august is in his small hometown getting drunk out of his mind.

despite the fact that august knows he makes the worst decisions under the influence of alcohol, he pushes away his inhibitions and continues to tip the stale beer up to his lips.

this is not the first time august has gotten drunk since summer left, and it most certainly won't be the last. while she's soaking up some vitamin d, he's drowning himself in vodka and beer.

even though they are fighting, august still misses her terribly. he doesn't know that she feels the same way.

instead of staying home and being all drunk alone, august goes to a party with some old basketball teammates, letting the hidden anger of his failing relationship finally come to the surface. usually the alcohol would allow him to forget about her, but today was different.

this time august calls rain.

rain answers the phone drowsy from sleep. she's dazed when she looks at the top of her screen as she sees august's name flash across it.

"auggie why are you calling me" she answers groggily. she hears loud music and inaudibly groans. this is not the first time he's called her drunk out of his mind. rubbing her eyes, she slowly starts to get up and get dressed. she moves to grab her keys on top of her dresser.

"rainnyy. god, summer is such a bitch." he slurs out casually, laughing as if it were the funniest thing in the world. rain winces when he speaks, a little too loud and a little too brash for her liking. rain throws on a hoodie and walks to her car in short strides, rubbing her head as she wishes august and summer would just make up already.

"don't say that. you know you don't mean it. you love her. " rain says, tucking the phone by her ear as she drives out of her driveway. she hates this. so much.

august stays silent for a moment, and she hears more cheering in the back. rain asks for the address of the house he's currently partying in. she needs to pick him up before he does something stupid.

"i know if i tell you your just gonna break up the party. i just want to have some fun you party pooper" he laughs at her. rain lets out an exasperated sigh. it's the same deal every time.

"auggie just tell me where you are." rain says a little more forcefully.

"nope." he tells her childishly the music still playing in the background. "I don't wanna go."

"just tell me. i need to pick u up" rain wishes that summer were here. then they'd smooth over this rough patch and things would finally go back to normal.

"nopeee" he draws out "unless..."

"unless what" she plays along.

"unless you promise to stay for a little bit" before rain can object, august cuts her off. "please just for a little bit". rain's heart aches a little bit, knowing that this is just august hurting, and avoiding his pain.

rain sighs into the phone, knowing that this is the only way he'll agree to come home.

"fine. but only for an hour. then we leave" she says to him. he tells her the address but not before yelling to the crowd that his 'favorite girl' would be there in a few minutes.

despite her growing irritation, rain manages a small smile at the other end of the call.