Iron & Wine-Chapter Six: Competition

Start from the beginning

"Can I help you?" she asked in a very flat and bored tone.

"Uh, yes, I'm here for the interview," I replied. "With Celadine Danes."

The clerk eyed me suspiciously and then rolled her eyes before turning back to her computer.

"Go sit down over there with the others, I’ll let Ms. Danes know that you are here." And then she went back to completely ignoring me.

I brushed that confrontation off for the time being. I needed to focus for the interview. I so badly wanted to work here. I'd work here for free for Pete's sake, if they'd have me.

I turned into the waiting area only to find about a dozen other kids from school here for the interview as well. Oh well, a bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone.

Then I noticed Max, the evil blonde bitch herself, just sitting there with her legs crossed like a super model and her usual angry set look on her face. The chairs on either side of her were empty; no one would dare sit next to her. She literally was like the plague.

I boldly made my way over to Max and plunked down on the chair to her left. I heard quiet whispers of shock from the rest but Max just shot me a look so cold I would have froze to death on the spot, if possible. I just smiled a brazen smile back at her and grabbed a magazine from the table in front of us and pretended to read it. God I hated her. But, if there would be any competition at all, she would be the healthiest, so to speak.

It seemed like an eternity as everyone went in and out of the interview. In the end, only Max and I were left.

"You know, you can leave now," she suggested. "I won't tell anyone."

What the hell was she doing? Did she actually think that she could intimidate me?

"Now, why would I do that?" I asked, playing along.

"Because you know, deep down, that you won't get this job over me. I've worked far too long and hard for this job and it shows in my portfolio." She seemed a little unsure of herself as she said this. "So, to save yourself the trouble, I suggest you just leave. I'm just trying to offer you some friendly advice."

I just stared at her in amazement. She actually believed this. She actually believed that I was not good enough to get this job.

I smiled coolly and said, "Now why the hell would I want the likes of you as a friend Max? Why would anyone for that matter?" I knew this was hitting low, but I didn't care. I'd had enough of her attitude.

"Oh, maybe, that’s why you don't have any friends?" Her jaw dropped as I added that. She was about to come back at me with something even more cruel I’m sure, but the desk clerk called to her.

"Ms. Danes is ready for you now." She motioned towards the door with her hand then went back to her computer. I smiled at Max and simply said, "Good luck."