Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

She crawled in and immediately Alessandra scooted closer to her. “Winnie,”

“Yes, Les?” It was the nickname she’d come up for her in the time that they’d spent together and it was one that Alessandra didn’t mind Winnie using openly and any time she wished.

“We never got to finish the story about your horse.” Alessandra said. She knew of what happened to Winnie when she was alive and how she died. Winnie had told her many things about herself, all of which Alessandra inquired.

“Oh, yes,” Winnie moved closer to her too until their shoulders touched and Alessandra’s head was on her shoulder. “Well, I was nine and Mother wanted me to ride . . .”

Aless . . . Alessa . . . Alessandra . . .

There it was again.

The voice.

Alessandra opened her eyes, unaware that she’d fallen asleep sometime when Winnie was telling her story. She remembered the part where Winnie fell off and fractured her wrist and her mother forbidden her from riding again. But after that, she couldn’t remember.

Winnie was sleeping soundly next to her, her body barely moving and Alessandra wondered if she was even awake. Only the soft sounds of snoring reassured her and that was all she needed.

Alessandra . . .

She turned in the direction she heard the voice. It echoed in the room and it sounded as if the person was standing right beside her. Alessandra thought she’d find her father, but she only saw faint light in the hallway as the door to her bedroom was cracked open. She didn’t remember Winnie leaving it open when she came back in.

Help . . . me . . .

Now, she was officially spooked. She contemplated waking up Winnie, but she didn’t want to alarm her about something that wasn’t even there.

But something was there.

It was her father, and yet he wasn’t physically in front of her. Maybe . . .

No, it couldn’t be. Alessandra knew he was dead, and Winnie even warned her about the tricks that they played. Whoever they were. This could be one of them.

Closing her eyes, she tuned it out.

Alessandra . . . Help . . . me . . .

He sounded so real. Alessandra opened her eyes and peeked around the room. She found no one but herself and Winnie, but the voice remained. She wished it would stop, but there was sinking feeling in her chest that told her the only way it would was if she followed it.

She didn’t want to, but another part of her wanted to see. She had to be sure she was right. Casting one last look at Winnie, she carefully crawled out of me. The last thing she needed was Winnie trying to restrain her and then she’d call Hypnos who would probably call Hades and then Alessandra would have constant eyes on her. She had enough of people looking after her when she lived in Evyon, and this was supposed to be different for her.

Tiptoeing to the door, she opened it wide enough to let herself out then closed it behind her. She remembered the way to the entrance of the Underworld, but she’d hoped that no one was around to stop her. Hypnos disappeared during supper, and the Lady Ryes, she wasn’t sure of. However, as long as no one was around now then she wouldn’t have to worry. She just had to be quiet.

The garden still looked the same. It was still vibrant with life sprouting in the flowers and the grass was still warm in the place where she sat at her picnic with Hades. She walked the same way she remembered until she came.