Chapter 11

Copyright (c) 2014 Phyllis Zimbler Miller

All rights reserved.

Merck & Co. researchers say Merck's latest experimental drug against AIDS may be the most effective tested against the disease. Merck officials caution the drug, called MK639, is far from a cure. February 23, 1995

1995

         The book was not going well. Every time I started a new phase of Judith's life I got caught up in researching the history of the time period. Then I would remind myself that the book was about Judith, her life, a popular account. Only historians wanted to read details. I had to stick to the broad strokes.

Judith’s Story

Chicago, April 6, 1917

         "Judith, Judith!" Jacob yelled. His footsteps clanged on the stairs leading up from the deli to their apartment, which they had been able to take over from Chaim’s tenant after only a few months spent living with Chaim behind the deli.

         She opened the door to Jacob.

       "Was ist das?" In moments of excitement she still spoke Yiddish. "What is it, Jacob? What's happened?"

         “The U.S. has declared war on Germany!"

        "Oh, no! It can't be true."

       "It is," Chaim said. He had entered the apartment behind Jacob. "But do not be afraid. You are safe here."

        Jacob took her hands. "Don't you see, my liebchen, this is good?"

        "How can it be good?"

        "The U.S. will help England win the war. And England will take Palestine from the Turks.  We will finally have our own homeland.”

        Jacob, her husband the dreamer. Ever since they had come to Chicago he had been going to Zionist meetings. He talked of nothing else but a Jewish homeland in Palestine. Chaim chided her, told her not to nag Jacob about being away every night.

         But Judith knew Chaim had his own reasons for wanting Jacob away.

       Judith 's breath came in short gasps. The children! She ran to the open front window and leaned out. Eleven-year-old Lillian perched on a trash can, reading as usual. Six-year-old Sylvia scraped a stick back and forth in the dirt, making her mud drawings. "Ten more minutes," she called to them.

        Now Chaim motioned to her as she walked back to the men.  "Judith, some schnapps. Let's drink to victory.”

        Something had happened in the moments she had been checking the children. Jacob's face glowed as if he were Moses coming down from Mount Sinai with the two stone tablets of the Ten Commandments in his hands.

        "What's going on? Why are you so excited?" she said.

        "I'm going to enlist," Jacob said.

        "What?"

        "Join the army. Do my part to liberate Palestine."

        "No!"

        She collapsed towards the floor. Chaim's arms braced her fall.

       "Come, my dear,” Chaim said.  “Everything will be okay."

       She could feel Chaim holding her. Feel the years of desire and frustration.

       Only a few months ago he had admitted his love. They had been washing the deli dishes while Jacob attended a Zionist meeting.

       He had reached for a plate she handed him, but it had fallen from his hand.

       "I'm sorry, Judith. I was entranced by your beauty."

       She laughed. "I'm not beautiful. Why say such a foolish thing?"

       "Because I love you."

       Her heart had fluttered as she glanced around. But the girls were upstairs, away from the deli kitchen.

       "You must not say such words."        

       He hadn't looked at her. He had stood next to her, his eyes on the flowered wallpaper.

       "In the old country I watched Jacob raise your veil at your wedding. You were the most beautiful bride I had ever seen. I could love no one else."

        She also stared at the wall. "Then this invitation to come live with you?"

       "I wanted you near me. Even if I could never have you."  He hesitated. "I followed you to America. I purposely chose a different city so that I would not see you until I had something to offer you, then I wrote Jacob."

       She choked back tears. "You probably saved our lives. I shall always be grateful."

       She had handed him the washcloth and started upstairs to the children. At the door she had turned. "We shall never speak of this again."

       She looked at Chaim now. His face revealed nothing. Had he convinced Jacob to enlist?

       And if so, why now when previously Chaim had persuaded Jacob not to enlist after Jacob had seen the poster with the headline that read:

       THE JEWS THE WORLD OVER LOVE LIBERTY

       HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT & WILL FIGHT FOR IT

        The poster displayed over an image of the British flag three faces with the captions:

        RT. HON. HERBERT SAMUEL, VISCOUNT READING, RT. HON. EDWIN S. MONTAGU

       Then there was a scene of soldiers running with raised rifles, and in the forefront a Jewish man saying “YOU HAVE CUT MY BONDS AND SET ME FREE – NOW LET ME HELP YOU SET OTHERS FREE!”  The ropes that encircled him were being loosened by a British soldier next to the words:

       BRITAIN EXPECTS

       EVERY SON OF ISRAEL

       TO DO HIS DUTY

       This was followed by:

       ENLIST WITH THE INFANTRY REINFORCEMNETS

       FOR OVERSEAS

      Under the Command of

      Capt FREEDMAN

      Headquarters

      786 ST. LAWRENCE BOULEVARD

      MONTREAL

      Judith had been so grateful that Chaim had convinced Jacob not to go to Montreal to enlist.  She needed Jacob more than the British did.

      What had changed Chaim’s mind?  Was it fighting for their adopted country that made the difference? 

       Judith wrapped her arms around her body as if to protect herself from what might follow.

      Perhaps Chaim was sending Jacob to the front lines the way King David sent Batsheba's husband Uriah to battle. In order to posses another man's wife.

       Judith shivered.  What would happen to her and the children?

__

If you would also like to read women’s fiction that takes place in the future rather than the past, check out THE MOTHER SIEGE here on Wattpad at http://budurl.com/MSintro