Chapter six

That's what was waiting. I couldn't see Alisa anymore, but I knew it was already too late. I felt my heart explode inside of my body. I didn't know that I cared for her that much. I know we've known each other for over a year, but the pain I felt in my chest was excruciating. It was like finding out that a loved one passed away. That's the only way I can describe it. I tried running back, but everyone only ran towards the bullets. I could see people dying right in front of me, and I was about to join them. That's when I felt someone grabbed my arm, and then I was pulled into a classroom. I was only a few yards away from the corner, from those bullets.

"Hey man, you alright?" ask an unfamiliar voice said.

"No," I said with tears coming down my face. I couldn't hear the bullets anymore, but it didn't matter.

"You have any idea what's going on out there?"

I didn't respond.

"Listen, I just saved your life. Can you at least talk to me?"

"I don't know what's going."

"Oh. Well, I was on my lunch break when this all happened. I turn all my lights off and locked the door. Then, I hid under my desk. I know I should have went out there to help any students, but I was too scared, I guess. I sat there for a good twenty when I heard that explosion and then screaming. I got up a saw students running and then... those guns. That's when I saw you trying to run back but unable to. I couldn't just stand there and watch. I had to do something," he took a long pause, "How about you?"

"I was in my English class. It's across the hall," is all I managed to say. I was too busy trying to comprehend what just happened.

"You gotta name?"

"James."

"I'm Mr. Stevens."

We sat in silence after that. The intercom came on again. "Step three complete. We're all done here," is what the voice said. We didn't move an itch. The police came a few minutes after that. What they found and what I saw only led to more confusion. Only thirteen bodies were found, including Alisa's, the five in my class, the six in the library, and two in the hall. Only two. That wasn't possible. I never heard a sound while Mr. Stevens and I were sitting; there was no way someone could have moved those bodies, but at the same time, I never looked out the door window. The bomb in the library was never found, either. When I left the class, I could see the two bodies in the halls, which were both covered by sheets.

My parent picked me up from school before the police could question me. I could see a massive hole on one side of the school while we were driving away. After we got home, my parents and I didn't talk much. I was just so confused about that day. There were no news reports about it. When I finally built up enough courage to finally say something, I told everything. I saw the expression on their faces. I could tell they didn't believe me. They took me to see a therapist, a few days later.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
561 words