暗闇に (In The Dark) : A World War 2 Story About The Atomic Bomb

Start from the beginning

     He was the first to jump at me, raising his fist at me with an angered expression on his face. I quickly ducked down and grabbed him by the wrist, pulling him onto the ground below me and placing my knee firmly at his throat. He stared at me in surprise and I watched slowly as his expression changed into a small hideous smile as he began to chuckle. I started at him in confusion, trying to slowly catch my breath.

      “Ozairo, you are just like me, what makes you think you're any better?” He said smiling at me. My heart began to pound as I pressed my knee even firmer against his throat. “You're exactly like me. And one day, you will end up in my place.” He said glaring at me coldly. I slowly rose to my feet, letting go of him and walking out of the room, leaving him there alone.

       As I made my way to the deck of the ship, I began to realize that now was the time to stop this madness, we were only a few hours from beginning the surprise attack, although I wasn’t a fan of Americans myself, I knew that it was the right thing to do. I silently walked made a right turn, instead of going straight and going to the ladder that led to the deck. I slowly walked into my father's room and closed and locked the door behind me, and made my way to his small trunk. I couldn’t just burst into the part of the ship where the three “demons” were working. I resented my father, and I was going to make him pay very soon for what he had done to my mother, brother, and I. I dug through my fathers truck, looking for the “perfect distraction”.

      “You’re just like me.” I couldn’t shake off the feeling that he was right. I shook my head as I found what I was looking for and quickly shoved it underneath my shirt and ran off to my room. Soon enough, my father and his allies were going to see what kind of a man I could be.

       After about an hour of waiting and planning in my room, I realized that there was not enough time to just wait any longer. I smoothly left my room at around 6:50 a.m. and headed straight to the deck, with my distraction pressed tightly against me. I ran up onto the deck and silently headed behind one of the large pillars at the back of the boat. I slowly placed the bundle onto the ground and took out a match, lighting it on fire as quick as I could, and running straight back down to my quarters. Just as I descended down the flight of stairs that led to the bridge, I could hear a high pitched crack and shooting noises, shortly after I could hear the panicked yelling and running of men, believing they were being attacked from above. My lips slowly curved into a smile of delight and satisfaction as there was another yelling from my fathers room, in a flash he ran past me and up the steps wearing only his pants, yelling at all the soldiers. When I realized I was the only one in the small hallway, I made my move, running straight to the control room and pulling out my pistol. There was no one around as I ran to the room, everyone one was upstairs trying to stop my surprise.

      I slowly walked up the door and opened it, finding the Admiral and Commander in the room. My eyes widened as their eyes wandered to the gun in my hand. I froze and slowly turned around and took off running with all my might. I could hear footsteps running towards me from behind, and I shut my eyes hoping that they wouldn’t catch me. I kept on running until I got to my room, and I shut the door behind me, locking it quickly. I sighed as I heard footsteps running past my room and I silently walked to my bed and layed down, catching my breath.

     “I wouldn’t relax just yet.” I heard a voice say. My head quickly snapped up looking in a corner, seeing my father. He had a calm expression and composure as he walked over to me and sat down in the bed beside me. “I am disappointed in you, Tamaka.” He said calling me by my first name for the first time. “You are already in your twenties and still playing with fireworks.” He said, staring at me. I looked away and kept my eyes on the top of the bed above me. “You are going home as soon as the invasion stops.” He said, getting to his feet again. “And you won’t be leaving your room until we arrive in Japan.” He said going to the door and walking out, closing the door behind him with a loud click.